Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
Includes Expert Content
dl1dl2 bipolar depression
dl1dl2 posted:
I posted a discussion about 15 min ago, I need some advice on how to deal with my depression. I am on anti depressants but they don't seem to help. Aren't they supposed to help with depression what is wrong. I need advice pleasssssse

Joseph F Goldberg, MD responded:
Follow-up: there are no studies to show that antidepressants treat depression in bipolar disorder; if they are not helping, that is a common enough occurrence to prompt considering the FDA-approved options mentioned in my earlier posting. Dr G

dl1dl2 replied to Joseph F Goldberg, MD's response:
what is your earlier posting what anti depressants will help with bi polar depressants

davedsel replied to dl1dl2's response:
Here is Dr. G.'s earlier post: http://forums.webmd.com/3/bipolar-disorder-exchange/forum/15236

dl1dl2 replied to davedsel's response:
with this link I am unable to pull this up is this a disscusion or is it information about bi polar

davedsel replied to dl1dl2's response:
That is a link to the discussion where Dr. G. answers your question. Here is a copy of his reply:

"Dear dl1dl2, The FDA-approved treatments for bipolar depression are Latuda, Seroquel, or Symbyax. Worth discussing each of these treatments with your doctor before considering any other, (technically) experimental treatments like antidepressants or other medicines. Dr. G."

Just scroll down the page and you will find your other discussions.

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

NSAIDS and lithiumExpert
Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (eg, Motrin/ibuprofen, Advil, Naprosyn) raise lithium levels by about 20%. We often therefore say ... More
Was this Helpful?
69 of 92 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.