Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
Working with bipolar
mhaab1221 posted:
I am new to this discussion group and I am hoping to get some advice or just some perspective. Was diagnosed with Bipolar 2 about 18 months ago and was put on limictal and Cymbalta. My diagnosis came after some manic issues were identified. Had had periodic issues with depression since I was a teen, but they were never life-altering. In mid-July, I began a depressive episode unlike any I have had. Started crying (for no real reason) and couldn't "snap" myself out of it like I had in the past. I am the Deputy Executive Director of a Housing Authority and have a very prestigious job after a quick move up in my career. I was taken out of work for 2 weeks immediately after seeing my psychiatrist because I couldn't stop crying at work. This was both embarrassing and scary. I tried to go back half time in late July but because my meds were increased, all I did was sleep. After dealing with that issue, my psychiatrist started scaling my off of Cymbalta and I am starting Viibryd. The withdraw symptoms were horrible when coming off the Cymbalta. I see my psychiatrist again on Tuesday and we will talk about going back to work. But I can't even imagine going back. I sleep about 14 hours a day. I have gained weight and have only been able to work out about half as much as I did previously. Leaving my house takes so much effort. And I still feel depressed--it's been over 6 weeks. Does this sound like anyone else's experiences? Should I try and go back to work? Could my current depression be more related to the medication changes, or do troughs last this long?

slik_kitty responded:
depression can last for a very long time. you don't mention that you are in therapy. therapy along with the meds will help you turn this around.

mhaab1221 replied to slik_kitty's response:
Thanks for replying. I did start therapy in late July. It is helping. Guess I was hoping I would be "better" faster, but I am learning it isn't that easy.

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

TO DROP MY WEIGHT, I DROPPED THE DIET SOFT DRINKS.
Been on Zonegran for about five years and a type II diabetic for 35 years using metaformin and insulin. It appears the jury is in for me on ... More
Was this Helpful?
6 of 10 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.