Skip to content

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
bi polar schizo affective and mental breakdowns
dl1dl2 posted:
Need help please, has anyone ever had all three of these how do you cope with them. Need answers please

davedsel responded:
Hello again.

You have been posting this same question for the past few days. I know you need answers. Activity here is sporadic. Many people do not share your conditions. Conversely, someone who has had these conditions may come soon and offer you some answers.

You have said that you do not have therapy with any mental health professional. You asked what that would do for you. The answers you are seeking could be gained through therapy. Most people in this community have had therapy - many extensively and are continuing to see a counselor. Most people include some type of therapy or counseling as part of managing their mental health condition.

These WebMD communities are great for sharing experiences and supporting each other. You are more than welcome to continue doing that and seeking answers here.

I just wanted you to be aware that your posts are not being ignored. We all understand and want to help.

I do pray you find the answers and relief you need soon.

dl1dl2 replied to davedsel's response:
Thank u I am seeking answers for the troubles that I am having. would like any help possible

Teebipolar responded:
Hi I am 26 years old and I too have suffered just like you. I felt so lost, confused, scared, and had very aggressive mood swings. I finally searched online for help. I called a hotline that helped me find a facility that can help me cope with life. I went to laurel ridge treatment center in San Antonio Texas. They have wonderful doctors and staff. The group meets helped so much. They were never judgmental. They got me on the meds I needed as well as counseling to help me one I left. I strongly recommend you have a writing journal. Its something simple but it helps you release your inner thoughts, the thoughts that you are scared to tell others. It always brought me a peace of mind it made me feel as if I got things off my chest. Dont be scared to call around to find a small group for mental illness in your area. I wish you the best of luck!

Anneinside responded:
Perhaps you need a little help in understanding what your disorders are. Schizoaffactive disorder is a combination of schizophrenia and bipolar so saying you have bipolar and schizoaffective disorder is redundant. As far as a mental breakdown goes, that is just an informal way of saying that your schizoaffective disorder is not under control. Using the term mental breakdown doesn't tell anything as it can be almost anything.... crying all the time, sleeping long periods, hearing voices.... anything so it is a useless term.

So, what do you have? Schizoaffective disorder that is not under control.

Anneinside responded:
Sorry, didn't respond to your request of how to cope with your disorder. See your psychiatrist, take your medication, and see a psychologist to work on coping skills.

dl1dl2 replied to Anneinside's response:
With the meds that I am on the schizo affective is under control. My phyciatrist is trying to reduce my meds as I was on pretty high doses of all my meds that I was taking. made me feel as though I couldnot feel anything. Not realizing it I was taking 150 mg of my mood stablizer instead of 200mg. now I am taking 168mg still makes me feel depressed and unable to feel. after taking the 150 I got to a point that I was starting to feel emotions but now on the 168mg I still feel depressed and unable to feel. after having feelings and then not having them it is hard to live that way. I have not had another episode since 2007.

dl1dl2 replied to Anneinside's response:
What kind of coping skills, what else can a therapist do for me.

wildprairierose replied to Teebipolar's response:
Teebipolar: I am desperately searching for treatment for my bipolar niece and was wondering if you had to pay out of pocket for Laurel Ridge. We live very far away from there, but we have reached a dead end looking for any help close to home. We don't have a lot of money, so many centers are out of reach financially. I appreciate any guidance you could give.

designmom651 replied to dl1dl2's response:
For me I go to weekly therapy after going through a 5 month manic episode. It helps to talk about all your emotions, reactions and decisions you made over the week. It is amazing to have someone that though they may not suffer, are educated to help us walk through this rough journey of mental illness. It is a life long diease and the only way to hold on to hope for me to continue to stay healthy is therapy weekly and pdoc 1 to 2 times a month (with my pdoc it depends on how many times per month, pending how I am taking to the new meds or changes in meds). Hope this helps. But I would highly recommend it.

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

Differentiating bipolar disorder from borderline personality disorderExpert
Borderline personality disorder is a condition in which people can very easily become angry and upset in response to stresses -- especially ... More
Was this Helpful?
112 of 129 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.