Skip to content


Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
Help, ex, father of my children, is untreated bipolar
stephiebaby323 posted:
I am reaching out because I don't know what to do anymore. I currently share custody, unofficial, with the father of my children. We split up last Summer when he had his first major depression phase. We have been off and on but it always ends badly. He originally felt I had abandoned him because of our work schedules and started a new relationship. When I realized what was happening I suggested several things to make it work between us. He would leave and come back begging a few days later. He refused to let either of us go. I finally left. He doesn't accept any responsibility for what he did and blames me for everything. He was diagnosed bipolar in the winter and was medicated for a while. While he was on the meds things weren't perfect but much better and we lasted the longest that time, ended soon after he ran out of pills and refused to go back to the dr. We have been apart about 2 months now, and after he saw a facebook post about me happy he tried to come back full force. He sent me email after email, in one he would be sweet talking about our past and how good it was, the next he called me "a spoiled little b****" and every paragraph ended with "f*** you, f*** you, f*** you!" The emails alternated like that. I have no idea what to do. I love him and care so deeply about him but everytime I get to close I get hurt. Most importantly our young kids (2 & 4) are with him half of the week and it scares me to think what they may be seeing. The other night he told me he wasn't bipolar anymore, that really bothers me. Clearly there are things going on and I know that its something that just doesn't go away. He's in denial. I plan to file offically custody paperwork this month and I'm going to have something put in them that suggests in has a full evaluation and be under a doctors care. I don't know exactly what I'm looking for, maybe just to know that I'm not alone and everything will be ok. Or tips or something to make it easier. Either way, thank you for taking the time to read my story.

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

Differentiating bipolar disorder from borderline personality disorderExpert
Borderline personality disorder is a condition in which people can very easily become angry and upset in response to stresses -- especially ... More
Was this Helpful?
114 of 131 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.