Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
When was your Bipolar noticeable?
casa222 posted:
I have some curiosity questions for other Bipolar individuals out there. From my understanding of Bipolar Disorder, some people have signs of the illness anywhere from their teens to later in their life. When did you first notice signs of this illness? Not when you were diagnosed but when you first noticed that something wasn't right.

And since you have been diagnosed and are taking medication, are you stable? How long have you been stable or unstable?

melly2210 responded:
I was dx with bp @ 35. A bit late. Once I understood my illness, in hindsight I could see it all the way back to my teen years. I was constantly in a manic state, running from mild to severe. And I can identify a few incidences of moderate to deep depression. Those incidences were after traumatic events in my life - the loss of my father, with my second child severe post-traumatic syndome. And right after I got divorced I became involved in a very emotionally abusive relationship which finally sent over the deep end and subsequently the bp dx was made. That was 5-6 yrs agao.

Now I am on a very tight medication schedule. I've found the cocktail that works for me for the most part. I hadn't been in a crisis center for years until recently. For the most part I am stable or at least able to keep myself in the stable zone with my coping skills. Last week, the anxiety got the better of me. I couldn't get it under control. So I checked myself into a crisis center for medication management. I'm out now, too early; I should have stayed longer. But life circumstances said no way. My stability will return because I will on my part to get there. The medication will do it's job and let me know if I need to return.

Hope is that thing with feathers that perches in the soul and sings the tune without the words and never stops... at all. ~Emily Dickinson

davedsel responded:
Hello.

I was diagnosed with bp when I was 41 years old. That's 15 years ago now. I had to be admitted into the psychiatric ward at a local hospital because I was suicidal. I recovered quickly and an excellent psychiatrist diagnosed me as being bipolar. I'd had bouts with depression for decades beforehand, would get counseling and bounce back quickly and even be extra happy. No therapist saw the bp until I was in the hospital.

I was on three medications for several years (serzone, depakote and ativan). I was able to taper off and stop those medication with both the psychiatrist and a good psychologist's help. I have been without medication for bp for about 10 years. Most of the time I can direct my manic energy for something beneficial and come out of a depressed phase by focusing on the blessings in my life.
Click on my avatar picture or user name to read my story.

-Blessing,

Dave

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

Medications for BPD
Please get a second opinion if you have chronic problems with your BPD medication. I changed doctors and got a proper diagnosis from ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.