Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
Davedsel
ddnos posted:
Hi Dave,

I never noticed at the bottom of your posts where it says to click on your avitar or name to read your story - but I noticed it a few minutes ago and read it.

Wow, I don't think I will ever complain about my body pain ever again after reading your story!......ok, so maybe I will, but my goodness, I can't even imagine the pain you must experience! I don't know that I would be as positive as you are - I would hope I would be, but I don't know. So I commend you for maintaining such a positive attitude - though I'm sure you have your days...but over all, I'm impressed!

I do, however, wish that you didn't have to endure the pain in the first place and hope that maybe some time down the road you will discover something that will lower your average pain levels a few notches!

Anyway, just wanted to make comment after reading your story!

Debbie
Forgiveness is letting go of the hope that the past could have been any different --Unknown

davedsel responded:
Thank you for your kind words, Debbie.

Dealing with the spinal issues has definitely been a challenge. I keep hoping they would perfect the spinal transplant or artificial full spinal implant procedures, but I will just keep waiting.

The chronic pain definitely affects the mood, but I still rely on family and faith to maintain a positive attitude.

I appreciate your post very much.
Click on my avatar picture or user name to read my story.

-Blessing,

Dave

ddnos replied to davedsel's response:
Dave, I'm glad you have faith and loved ones to help you!

Are you serious re spinal transplant, or am I simply too gullible? lol I could use one of those too...and new feet..and maybe even a new brain! lol Hmmmmmmmmm (no comment!)

I have a question/comment re something else you mentioned in your story.....you said that you have been medication-free for 10 years for the treatment of bipolar 1, yes? My question is, since you have been able to be off your meds for so long, do you ever wonder if you were misdiagnosed with bipolar? I have always thought and believed that bipolar is one of those disorders that one would need to be medicated for life in order to maintain stability. If that is the case, then it would seem logical that if one is able to remain stable without medication, it's because they really don't have bipolar. Whether that is medically and scientifically true or not, I'm not sure. Maybe we could ask Dr. G.? What do you think? Do you think that some people correctly diagnosed with bipolar are actually able to be and remain stable without medication? Maybe they need it initially to get things under control, but then, as in your case, are able to go off the medication and be fine? I know you have to work at it, but to be able to work at it successfully without the help of medication is great!

Bottom line for me is that I'm glad that you don't have to be on psych meds but still be stable! I would like that for myself! I have been working on going off one of my meds for a specific reason, but it remains to be seen as to whether or not I can 1) actually get to the finish line and 2) if I do get there, how long can I stay? Time will tell. I'm having to wean off my medication SO slow that it will take a bit over a year before I'm completely off it! lol My body/system can't handle going off this med very well, probably because I've been on it for so long - 22 years! I'm weaning by a HALF a pill every 3 MONTHS (or so), and even at that slow, I get sick. This past 1/2 pill reduction, it took 1 month and 1 week before I've even started to feel better. Even at that, I'm still not up to par physically, but getting better! These medications sure do wreck havoc with our bodies, eh?

Anyway, I ramble! lol

Debbie
Forgiveness is letting go of the hope that the past could have been any different --Unknown

davedsel replied to ddnos's response:
Yes, I am just kidding about the spinal transplant. How I wish it was possible, but it is not currently an available medical procedure. Maybe someday.

Yes, I have wondered about the accuracy of my bipolar diagnosis. However, given my long prior history of depressed periods followed by quick recovery and extra happiness that always made sense. I was diagnosed with obstructive sleep apnea in 2001 and started sleeping with CPAP. Uncontrolled sleep apnea can affect and cause many health conditions, both physical and mental. My doctors feel that getting this disorder under control allowed me to be able to go off several types of prescription meds, including those I was on for emotional difficulties. To be honest, when I was in the hospital for the emotional breakdown I was told I would probably be on meds for the rest of my life. Being able to go off successfully was a pleasant surprise. I guess that would be a good question for Dr. G.

I still have periods of depression followed by manic feelings. I have learned to direct the energies while in manic phase fairly successfully and focus on good things to help bring me out of depression. I still feel as though I am bipolar, but just in better control now even without meds.
Click on my avatar picture or user name to read my story.

-Blessing,

Dave

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

Differentiating bipolar disorder from borderline personality disorderExpert
Borderline personality disorder is a condition in which people can very easily become angry and upset in response to stresses -- especially ... More
Was this Helpful?
110 of 127 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.