Skip to content

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
Lack of Motivation
ddnos posted:
Trapped in a world where motivation to do just about anything has been sucked out of me. I can't tell if this lack of motivation is primarily a result of depression or if it's a combination of that and that I've become lazy. Either way, does anyone know how to get untrapped? The evenings tend to be a bit better, but I can't do any outside stuff in the evenings because I don't have a car and will not go out in the dark by myself.

Ideas anyone?

Debbie
Forgiveness is letting go of the hope that the past could have been any different --Unknown

slik_kitty responded:
I wish i had the words to help. motivation was never a problem with me. all i can say is that you just gotta force yourself out the door. even if it's just to go for a little walk. the more you do, the easier it becomes. you've been in this state for a very long time, so it's gonna take some work to break out of it, but you can do it. set your mind on doing something and keep focused on that and don't let yourself get distracted. hugs

ddnos replied to slik_kitty's response:
Thanks Kitty! I wish I were like you and didn't have a problem with motivation. Yes, it's been extra difficult for about a year or a tad over a year, but it's naturally gotten even worse since lowering my medication. Even when I'm doing well re depression, I've always had to push myself to get certain things done; but I've been able to do it. Now, I can't even seem to do that. For example, I have needed to go grocery shopping for at least a week and a half, but I can't force myself to go. Some evenings I will walk down to the store and pick up something to eat for that night, or I will figure out something to eat that's in the freezer or cupboards. I slept all day today and so will likely be up all night, thus, messing up my sleep cycle yet again! I tell myself that I just HAVE to push myself, but the thought of it overwhelms me and I lay down and go to sleep. I know that in large part it's because of lowering my medication. I don't know how long I will be able to keep this up. If things don't get better soon, I may just have to increase my med back up and go from there. I don't know. I hope I don't have to do that, but I don't know if I will be able to do this for as long as it's going to take. Time will tell, I guess.

Thanks again, and please send me some of your motivation, Ok?

Hugs
Debbie
Forgiveness is letting go of the hope that the past could have been any different --Unknown

slik_kitty replied to ddnos's response:
a package of motivation is winging it's way to you through cyberspace.

ddnos replied to slik_kitty's response:
Finally! I think it may have arrived early this morning because guess what? I already took my shower this morning! I'm sure that may sound crazy, but for me, when I take my shower before I do anything else (other than take my meds) I have a better chance of being able to do other things that day - things that require motivation. So if I get nothing else done today, I MUST go grocery shopping! I don't care if I have to look stupid as I'm pulling myself by my hair out the door and down the street, I HAVE to go! So if you see some crazy chick on the news tonight who's pulling her hair in the direction of the store, ummmm, that would be me! lol

slik_kitty replied to ddnos's response:
yay!

bpcookie responded:
Debbie doodles darling, I feel for you.nI kinda know what your going through. Sometimes I dont even want to do things that I enjoy. I hardly get outside. I would welcome a good dose of Mania. Wish my Dr. would give me a script for it.

Your strong and your smart and Im sure things will eventually improve for you. Better sooner then later. In the mean time, keep your head above water and keep fighting.

love to you and lots of muahs
Please join my community called GRUMPY GROUPIES ( http://exchanges.webmd.com/grumpy-groupies ) Fun and serious topics, nothing is taboo. So get on over there. Weirdo's are welcomed.

ddnos replied to bpcookie's response:
Thank you Cookie! I sure wish I were one of those who have little to no problem with internal motivation - like Kitty! No fair! I can't help it if I was in the wrong line when passing out motivation! I just didn't have the motivation to get there! lol

I hope things are starting to improve for you re your physical problems and otherwise!

Hang in there
Debbie

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

Medications for BPD
Please get a second opinion if you have chronic problems with your BPD medication. I changed doctors and got a proper diagnosis from ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.