Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
Includes Expert Content
College Student (bipolar disorder question)
Mesha123 posted:
Good afternoon, my name is Bodine Smith; I am a psychology student who needs to contact a member of the mental health medical field in reference to Bipolar disorder. As part of my course project, I will conduct field research on the practice related to my selected disorder. To gather information for my field research, I will interview a mental health professional to learn about the practice related to the disorder. These questions should assist in differentiating the chosen disorder from those found within and outside its parent category. Here are the ten questions, if you can please respond to the questions and return them in an email at your earliest convenience. 1. What is Bipolar disorder? 2. What causes it and can it be inherited? 3. How common is Bipolar disorder? 4. What are some of the myths, and why is it important to recognize the symptoms. 5. What are the symptoms? 6. Are there subtypes & if so what are they? 7. Around what age do symptoms show in a patient? 8. How do you diagnose and treat it? 9. Is it curable and if so at what stage into the diesis? 10. If someone has Bipolar disorder how would they know? And can this disorder go into remission?

Joseph F Goldberg, MD responded:
Dear Mesha,

You ask a book's worth of questions. Fortunately that book has been written: The Bipolar Disorder Survival Guide by David Miklowitz, PhD. It should cover all of the questions you're posing. Also, wikipedia is a good place to start too.

Dr. G

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

new
hello everyone.. new to this..hope to talk to others who knows how it is having bipolar. More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.