Skip to content

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
Consultation Appt
ddnos posted:
Good morning!

Well, I'm having a phone consultation appt. this afternoon with a potential new therapist! She does free, 30-45 min phone consults, so decided to take advantage of that. I actually have a few butterflies in my tummy right now, but looking forward to it as well!

I was going to have a list of questions that I want to ask her, but decided that was too formal for me and is not really my style - so I'm going in blind. lol I have an idea of things that I want to ask her, but mostly, I'm interested in the kinds of questions she asks me and the way she annswers any of my questions.

I realize that I won't necessarily know over the phone if she would be a good fit, but I think I could potentially know if she's definitely not. So this appt could save some time and money or at least help determine if I want to make an actual first appt with her.

I have one other therapist that I want to check out, but she doesn't do the free consult, so I am going to wait until after the first of the year to make a first appt with her. Her regular fee is a lot higher than the one I'm checking out today, but still less than my current tdoc. So I can't afford to see her until after I'm completely done with my current tdoc, which will be in December.

I have been with my current therapist for literally almost half of my life, and I can't imagine what life will be without her! It's a bit daunting! I don't really like to think about it; but I know that I will be Ok in the end.

Ok, well appt is at 2 p.m. PST - 4.5 hrs from now and counting! lol

Have a great day, everyone!

Debbie
Forgiveness is letting go of the hope that the past could have been any different --Unknown

jselleck responded:
Good luck Debbie. I know it can be daunting trying to find a new doctor of any kind, but I'm sure you'll do fine. Hope you have a good day.

Jess

slik_kitty responded:
how did it go dd?

ddnos replied to slik_kitty's response:
HI Kitty,

I think it went well! She seemed nice over the phone and like I could possibly work with her. Of course, I won't know more until I actually see her fact to face, which is why I set up a session with her for next Friday. She's very affordable - she's one of those who doesn't like to charge so much that her clients put off coming in simply because they can't afford it. So if I end up choosing her to be my therapist, if I ever need to, I could actually afford seeing her twice in one month and it still cost less than one session with my current tdoc! lol

But, I do realize that money isn't the deciding ffactor - it's just a nice bonus if I do end up liking her.

However, having said that, I'm slowly starting to freak out inside about work with my current tdoc coming to an end. She knows me better than anyone in my life. When I talk with her, I don't have to explain a zillion details because she already knows them. She's a very wise woman with whom I deeply trust. I know that she's not going to feed me a line of crap when I need advice, direction, or any such thing. I'm afraid of the kind of counsel I will get from any other therapist. I just have to remember that she's not the only tdoc with wisdom. For all I know, the next one could be far better for me. It just scares me is all because it makes me feel alone. Like, the one person in the world who really gets me, who really knows me, who I really trust....will be no more in my life. It's too depressing.

Debbie
Forgiveness is letting go of the hope that the past could have been any different --Unknown

slik_kitty replied to ddnos's response:
yeah it is scary but it won't be a complete unknown. your t can send your new t your info and can even talk to her about you, so it won't be completely starting over from scratch.

ddnos replied to slik_kitty's response:
Kitty, yeah, I know - and my current tdoc will talk with the new one, whoever that will be, which will help some, but the new one is still going to have to learn for herself about me. I guess i just learn to take for granted the fact that my current tdoc doesn't need me to explain things to her because she knows me so well.

I think more than that the new tdoc won't know me, it's that I'm afraid that she won't possess the same amount of wisdom that my current tdoc has. I'm not saying that she knows everything, because I know she does'nt, but I DO trust that she knows what she's talking about both from personal experience and knowledge. She's just one of those kinds of persons that you just know has always been an "old soul" you know? I will miss that terribly! But maybe the new one will be just as wise or even more so! Sigh!

Today has been a rough day, and I would like to be able to just hibernate until I'm totally weaned off this medication and then take whatever step will come next and be done with it.

Debbie

slik_kitty replied to ddnos's response:
hugs

doxielover10 responded:
Hi Debbie,

I am an atrocious rapid cycling Bipolar one. Sometimes, I cycle everyday. I also have ADHD, I take a huge amount of meds. My mania is very aggressive, hostile, adrenalin surge from toes to head in zero to eighty in seconds. I am not an easy patient as meds do not work for me. I have taken every drug on the market with no results. I have been with my Psychiatrist for 20 years and fortunately he is a genius with chemistry. I have been almost stable for awhile. I can not imagine being without him. However, like you, my longtime Therapist moved and I went through exactly what you are experiencing. I was so anxious, I went through several bouts of severe mania crashing into depression. I went to two Therapists who unfortunately did not work out. When you have a relationship that is so symbiotic, it goes to the core of your being, they are a part of you. Losing that person is like a death, pushing you into mourning. I finally found my current Therapist and I have the incredible relationship with him. Sometimes, as I'm leaving after a session I have an overwhelming feeling of joy. This person REALLY knows me and understands. I wish you well in finding the perfect person, it is not easy. I would also say that you should not rush this process. Therapy is something good we do for ourselves. Rushing into it out of fear is not good for you. After all, you have us.

Allison

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

NSAIDS and lithiumExpert
Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (eg, Motrin/ibuprofen, Advil, Naprosyn) raise lithium levels by about 20%. We often therefore say ... More
Was this Helpful?
69 of 92 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.