Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
Includes Expert Content
Dr G. Manic delusion? *trigger*
monkeybee posted:
Hi Dr.G,

I was dangerously manic. My doc prescribed Geodon. It worked to slow me down after a while. Currently, I don't know what is going on:I think my mood is mixed. My mind is still racing quite a bit and I still have energy, so I'm not depressed but at the same time, I am chalk full of anxiety and last night for instance, I was laying on the floor in tears, about to get up and cut. I am a mess and it is bizarre. Anyway, here is my question. Early this week, a pastor I know posted a story about Jesus' return being soon. The same day a facebook friend posted the same thing. I decided since they both posted on the same day, it was a sign, Jesus' return is immenent and I'm going to hell because I am no longer very religious. I didn't let go of this, it has been ruminating in my mind since. Now, in the past, I have been extremely hyper-religious in a manic episode, believing I could cast out demons, believing spiritual people could read my mind, having hallucinations about the Holy Spirit and Jesus. For this reason, I am trying to be cautious about this matter. Do you think the thought that Jesus is returning and I'm going to hell is a delusion? If so, how do I combat this? Also, just fyi, I do see my pdoc soon; I'm just worried as usual.

Thanks,
Sarah

Joseph F Goldberg, MD responded:
Dear Sarah, It's certainly possible you're describing a delusion. It's worth having evaluated by your doctor. When Geodon is dosed above 120 mg/day it has antipsychotic properties. In the registration trials of Geodon for mania or mixed episodes the average dose was about 140 mg/day and sometimes up to 160 mg/day. Dr G

monkeybee replied to Joseph F Goldberg, MD's response:
Thank you, I am a christian but not typically very religious. I just can't let go of this or the condemnation that goes with it. I feel sick about it and keep thinking how the BibIe says He'll come like a thief in the night. I try to be cautious of anything that could be religiously over the top because of my history. I'll let you know what my doc says. I appreciate your response; I was kind of hoping otherwise, but at least I can try to be prepared if I am losing touch.

reneegigliotti responded:
What I hate about being told my belief that I have super human powers are in fact "delusions" is that I never believe I'm being told the truth. I always think it's a conspiracy to keep my powers from making a huge impact on the world. Even when I am no longer manic, it is really hard to see my psychiatrist's point of view that my G-d given powers were simply biochemical abnormalities. This last admission, I was certain I had the power through thought waves to influence the minds of Hamas and Hezbollah terrorists. I knew that if I could just get to Israel, join the IDF, and perform secret missions into Gaza, I single handedly could stop all terrorism telepathically. I read every Israeli newspaper I could get a subscription to. I was up for weeks reading obscure Hebrew language papers looking for hidden clues, of which I found many. News broadcasts were directed just at me and they contained subliminal messages directed at me alone. I ended up buying a plane ticket to Tel Aviv. When I told my psychiatrist my plans, he very calmly told me we had come to a place where an admission was needed. I was extremely combative and he was very firm. I told him that if he didn't let me go people would die needlessly. He said either I admit myself voluntarily or he does it without my consent. I was so distraught and agitated in the hospital over people dead from terrorist attacks. I knew I could have saved them and my psychiatrist wouldn't let me. Then I was furious at him. Then I was not allowed to watch television or read newspapers at all until he OKed it. It was a long admission. I can sort of see now,4 months later, that maybe he might have been correct. However, I still cannot look at any terrorist attack news report and not wonder on some level if I could have prevented it. My psychiatrist says as long as I can see the argument against the "delusion" we are doing fine.

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

NSAIDS and lithiumExpert
Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (eg, Motrin/ibuprofen, Advil, Naprosyn) raise lithium levels by about 20%. We often therefore say ... More
Was this Helpful?
68 of 91 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.