Skip to content

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
Includes Expert Content
Coming off meds
Anon_159453 posted:
I took myself off Lithium & Wellbutrin about 4 weeks ago & so far no side effects I'm feeling great. Right now I'm only taking Trazodone & Klonopin for sleep. How long before the meds will be completly out of my system?

Joseph F Goldberg, MD responded:
Dear Anon, Lithium and bupropion will both become undetectable within a week of stopping though brain concentrations are harder to estimate. As a salt, lithium deposits deep into fat tissue (brain). But time until relapse isn't necessarily related to whether drugs like these are still detectable in your body, and can be on the order of weeks, months or even years. I would urge anyone who wants to stop a psychiatric medicine to do that most safely under the close supervision of their doctor and not make that a do- it-yourself project. Dr G

lindy142 replied to Joseph F Goldberg, MD's response:
I understand what you are saying about coming off the meds the way that I did. I will call my psychiatrist on Monday to discuss. I have tried to commit suicide previously & you opened my eyes. Do bipolar patients tend to go off their meds when they are feeling better?

Joseph F Goldberg, MD replied to lindy142's response:
Dear Lindy YES!!!! A problem in its own right...many medicines are thought to not work well because people stop and start them, or take them improperly. I ask my own patients to let me know if there should come a time when they wanted to stop their treatment so we can anticipate and plan for what might happen next...or to figure out if there's something we can address about existing medicines that mobsters the desire to stop them in the first place. Dr G

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

Kee pyour head up
Don't let this illness bring you down. Always keep you head to the sky because someone is watching you and I. Sometimes this illness can ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.