Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
Includes Expert Content
Too high of a dose of lamotrigine?
its_sara posted:
Hello everyone! This is my first post so bear with me. I was recently with bipolar disorder and was out on 25mg of generic lamictal then gradually increased to 150mg. My pharmacist gave me the generic brand and didn't think much of it until I started taking 200mg. I started to cry more often, before VERY agitated and had very little self esteem. I became paranoid and suspicious of everyone, including people close to me. I did not feel this way when I took the 150mg. Could it possibly be the dosage that is creating all of these problems or the generic brand? I'm also on 5mg of Abilify once a day. Any advice or input would be great! Thanks all

Joseph F Goldberg, MD responded:
Dear Sara,

For the FDA to approve a drug as a generic, its manufacturer only has to show that it reaches 80-120% of the blood level of the brand-name version. Studies of safety or efficacy (or side effects) are not required. So it is possible that a switch from a brand-name version to a generic could produce a different result. Usually the easiest way to find out is to go back on the brand (a doctor can usually pursuade an insurance company to pay for brand if the brand was known to help and a generic produced an undesirable effect); if the problem is solved, there is your answer. If not, then the symptoms you describe may very likely just be illness features that Lamictal alone cannot adequately treat. A higher dose of generic could be 20% more or less than the brand, so resuming brand at 150 mg would provide a more level starting point from which to judge this.

Dr. G.

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

TO DROP MY WEIGHT, I DROPPED THE DIET SOFT DRINKS.
Been on Zonegran for about five years and a type II diabetic for 35 years using metaformin and insulin. It appears the jury is in for me on ... More
Was this Helpful?
6 of 10 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.