Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up


Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
Grandson that has been diagnosed with Bi-Polar
mammy58 posted:
I have 3 grandchildren that live with parents that fight 24/7, cuss, smoke pot, and spank the children. She is a so called mother!! She has only let the kids spend one weekend with us and one week. We live 2 hours away but my husband was a paramedic and I was an EMT and my husband is also in law enforcement. She hates us and we have not done anything to make her hate us. My grandson wanted to talk to me on the phone tonight and she would not let him because he screamed at her, she screams at them all the time, so I told her maybe I could talk to him and tell him not to talk to his mother that way and she said it has already been taken care of, so I said fine and hung up. I don't believe this child is Bi-Polar I believe it is just the conditions he is living under!!! Any advise? Everytime we see them they say they wished they could live with us because we are the only ones that don't yell at them, we set them down and explain things to them. Thx hillbillymomma58
slik_kitty responded:
there's not much you can do about that. his parents are his guardians, and unless you want to go the route of obtaining custody of the kids, you have no say in their medical care.

it could be environmental, but it also could be bp. we can't tell you that. we are just lay people, not docs.
momuv4girls responded:
If it is true that they spank the children and smoke pot, I would call CPS and let them investigate.

Poor kids : (


Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

NSAIDS and lithiumExpert
Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (eg, Motrin/ibuprofen, Advil, Naprosyn) raise lithium levels by about 20%. We often therefore say ... More
Was this Helpful?
67 of 90 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.