Skip to content

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
Includes Expert Content
Lithium dosage
An_254409 posted:
Dr. G,
I am currently on a maintenance dosage of Lithium Carbonate at 900 mg per day. I also take Invega and Wellbutrin.
Is it possible to take my 900 mg of lithium only once a day - in the morning? (either the regular release or extended release tablets). Based on what my doc says and what I read, it appears it is not ok. But I am missing my evening doses due to school and other reasons - and I'm thinking it would be better to at least get the full 900 mg in in the morning rather than missing the evening dose every once in a while.

Joseph F Goldberg, MD responded:
Dear An, I usually dose most if not all of my patients' lithium as once a day. Once-daily has been shown to carry a lesser risk for lithium-induced kidney problems. The half life of lithium carbonate is 24 hours, so there is really no pharmacologic reason to dose it more often than once a day unless all at once is poorly tolerated. Dr G

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

NSAIDS and lithiumExpert
Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (eg, Motrin/ibuprofen, Advil, Naprosyn) raise lithium levels by about 20%. We often therefore say ... More
Was this Helpful?
69 of 92 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.