Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
13 More Days
ddnos posted:
Thirteen more days before my last day with my therapist! I can't imagine not having her in my life after 20 years! She said that she will check in on me periodically and that I can contact her via email or phone periodically (we will set up boundaries around that our last day), but that won't be the same as getting to see her and have therapy with her.

I knew this was going to be hard, but I just can't wrap my head around it. I've checked out 2 different therapists recently, and it feels very foreign to be in a therapy setting without my therapist. Not sure I will be able to do that. Fortunately, I have an incredibly supportive PCP (ARNP) who has been seeing me anywhere from every 1-3 weeks since March, and will continue to do so even more with teh loss of my tdoc. Not many PCP's would do that. I've been very blessed with having her in my life. I think I would likely be doing a lot worse if I didn't have her extra support.

Last week was the first time that I had a dissociative episode in front of her and I was afraid she was going to let me go as her patient. lol But she's still here, telling me that she would be happy to see me once before my last day with my tdoc and the day after. She's like my mental health PCP who doesn't do therapy. lol

So though I'm extremely grateful to have her in my life right now, I'm still so very sad to be losing my tdoc. Twenty years is a long time.

I just finished making a PowerPoint slide show for her to give her on our last day. I'm happy with how it turned out.

Well, as per usual lately, I'm running late - still in my jammies, and I need to take a shower and get out of this house for as long as I can today!

Debbie
Forgiveness is letting go of the hope that the past could have been any different --Unknown

slik_kitty responded:

reneegigliotti responded:
My psychologist of 12 years retired in 2011. It was a very scary time for me wondering if I'd ever feel safe with someone again. My current psychologist, now of almost 2 1/2 years is an even more amazing fit. We clicked almost instantly. My psychiatrist of 18 years made the referral. All can say is that therapy transitions are hard but sometimes really amazing things can happen as the result of a transition. I was blessed to have my former psychologist. I am equally blessed to have my current one. My psychiatrist made the transition smooth. It will be in the end for you ok. Hard, but ok. Hugs.

ddnos replied to slik_kitty's response:
Awwwwww thank you Kitty

Hugs
Debbie
Forgiveness is letting go of the hope that the past could have been any different --Unknown

ddnos replied to reneegigliotti's response:
Thank you reneegigliotti - I'm glad you were able to find another tdoc that you like after 12 years - hard to do. Well, not hard to realize there are other tdocs just as good or even better than current one - just hard to change from one to the other. I'm not even sure I'm going to try - at least if I do, I think I'm going to wait a while in between tdocs. Maybe that will make it a little easier to transition. But I'm sure that if it's meant to be, I'll find someone I connect with in time. Thanks for sharing your story.

Debbie

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

NSAIDS and lithiumExpert
Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (eg, Motrin/ibuprofen, Advil, Naprosyn) raise lithium levels by about 20%. We often therefore say ... More
Was this Helpful?
69 of 92 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.