Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
Bipolar and college
cher2114 posted:
I was diagnosed with bipolar type 2 about three years ago when I began college. I was wondering are there any other people who are going through this same thing? What do or what did you do to get through college with the condition?
Thanks in advance
Cheryl.

ddnos responded:
Hi Cheryl, and welcome to the board!

I am diagnosed with bipolar 2 as well, and I went to 2 yr college about 10 years ago.

Personally, I don't think you need to do anything different from what you would normally do in other situations in order to get through college. I mean, what do you do to stay stable in your life outside of college? For me, I take my meds consistently, go to therapy, and anything else that I do to take care of myself. So if I'm healthy in myself, then I'm going to be healthy at college. There may be certain things you experience as a college student that could be a bit more challenging for you because of your bipolar 2 diag, but not impossible.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that being diagnosed with bipolar 2 does not or should not automatically mean that going to college is going to be that much different or more difficult than for anyone w/o the diag. Well, the one exception would be if you don't have the bipolar basically under control..stable.

So good luck with college whether you've already started or will be starting soon! You can do this as much as anyone else!

Debbie
Forgiveness is letting go of the hope that the past could have been any different --Unknown

cher2114 replied to ddnos's response:
Thank you Debbie,
Its nice to talk to someone that actually has the same disorder that I do for a change.

reneegigliotti responded:
I was diagnosed with bipolar 1 disorder while in graduate school. I had a severe manic and psychotic episode that required hospitalization. I was out of school for 2 months as the treatment was begun and I was stablized. I returned to grad school, finished my doctorate, and have been consistantly employed as a research scientist for almost 25 years. I get way more manic than depressed, but when I am depressed it can be brutal. I have been hospitalized a number of times over the years. The most recent one in July of this year. The key to living as full a life as you can is to not be afraid of your diagnosis, understand you have choices you can make, do exactly what your treatment team tells you to do, if you aren't satisfied with your team, fire them and get new people. The power is yours. We are not victims to our disorder. We can effect the outcome by taking our medications as prescribed, regulate sleep patterns, maintain good nutrition, have good communication with your treatment team when you become symptomatic,find some close friends or family members to act as your eyes to detect early onset of symptoms. Be proactive.

cher2114 replied to reneegigliotti's response:
Thank you so much for your reply and the advice. I'm so relieved because you are a research scientist, and that is my ultimate goal. It's so refreshing to talk to someone who goes through the same things that you do and has actually met the goals that you wish to achieve. Again I'd like to say thank you, you have no Idea how much hope that gives me.

reneegigliotti replied to cher2114's response:
I'm a PhD biochemist with a MS in toxicology. You? Right now I do clinical research. What are your plans? I think those of us with bipolar disorder have a lot to contribute in the work force. It makes me so sad that many people have been told "they can't". It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. Just keep telling yourself you can. Sure, you will have episodes. It's the nature of the disorder. Episodes do not have to run your entire life. Get them treated and then move on.

cher2114 replied to reneegigliotti's response:
Sorry for the late reply. Finals are coming up and I've been busy. My short term goal is to graduate with my bachelors degree in medical laboratory science. My long term goal is to complete grad school with my PhD in Microbiology and immunology with focus on microbial pathogenesis. I'd like to do clinical research. have any advice on how to land a job? I know that's far off but I'm just wondering. I think that you're absolutely right, and we do have a lot to contribute. I just tell myself that my brain is perfectly capable of the work that is put in-front of it. It's just needs me to help it a little more. Ie: taking my medication, going to therapy etc. Thank you for your kind words. It's things like that which give me the confidence and the courage to continue.

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

NSAIDS and lithiumExpert
Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (eg, Motrin/ibuprofen, Advil, Naprosyn) raise lithium levels by about 20%. We often therefore say ... More
Was this Helpful?
68 of 91 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.