Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
(Trigger) Anyone else hypomanic?
reneegigliotti posted:
I'm just bee bopping around and dancing to the Irish Rovers. I was told "time to start dosing klonopin" by my psychologist and psychiatrist. Grrrr. I'm having way too much fun. Klonopin IS NOT fun. Definitely bouncy, smiley, and cheerful. My psychiatrist said "lets try to contain this episode to hypomania". I LOVE hypomania. He's such a worry wart. He just expects full mania to emerge. I'm so not going to let that happen. Besides, it's Hanukkah!!!!! Who could not be at least a little hypomanic for Hanukkah. Silly Dr G (mine). Anyway, glucose levels were high today, 479 mg/dl Wonder why. Extra dosing of insulin. Not fun. Anyway, anyone hypomanic out there?

ddnos responded:
Hi, reneegigliotti,

Ok, so I know this is going to sound totally strange coming from someone who herself has bipolar 2, but I don't think I'm entirely sure what hypomanic is. My guess is that it's just a much more mild form of mania, yes? If so, how would one (someone with bipolar 1 or 2) differentiate between mild mania and just feeling/being in a good mood?

I guess the main reason I don't know very specifically what hypomania is, is because I generally don't use words like that to describe my behavior (to myself or others). Heck, I rarely even use the word, "bipolar" other than here.

Debbie
Forgiveness is letting go of the hope that the past could have been any different --Unknown

reneegigliotti replied to ddnos's response:
My psychiatrist differentiates it by degree of impairment. If all I'm doing is bouncing around with tons of energy, a million plans in my head, not needing much sleep, just feeling tip top amazing, overly energetic and productive at work, and extremely outgoing, he considers that hypomania. If I drift into disorganized thinking, random repetitive activities, excessive grandiose behavior, no sleep at all, no food, a sense of total euphoria, reckless driving, spending excessive amounts of money on very odd things (I once bought a first class ticket to London to see ralph the worlds largest bunny). He considers that mania. If I'm hallucinating and delusional on top of that. It's mania with psychotic features. Those are my patterns. Everyone's a bit different.

reneegigliotti replied to ddnos's response:
I'm a scientist. My language is precise. I want my terms defined. I want to know clinical boundaries. I always want to know the rules. That's how the three of us (my psychiatrist, psychologist, and I) manage my bipolar 1 disorder. Without frank, honest discussions, I would not be able to work within therapeutic boundaries. I am able to hold down employment at a high level because I take direction, communicate, and am proactive. I've been bipolar since graduate school. I've learned what works for me and what doesn't when it comes to my treatment. My treatment team treats me like an equal. That requires an extra level of involvement. It works. I have a life.

ddnos replied to reneegigliotti's response:
Ok, thank you - with my diag of bp2, I don't experience (and never have) full blown mania or mania with psychotic features; but I have experienced hypomania. When I'm in that space, I usually just say (to myself or people who may not understand psych language) is that I'm hyper....and, when I'm like that, I'm usually (if not always) like that for fairly brief periods of time - like just hours, not days. The main interferance is just annoyance to myself or others because of much more talkative than normal, insomnia, or jittery....but again, it typically doesn't last very long. I'm pretty certain this is attributed to the fact that I have bp2 and not 1 - and also, my guess is that the lithium keeps things pretty even.

Anyway, thanks for your explanation

Debbie
Forgiveness is letting go of the hope that the past could have been any different --Unknown

ddnos replied to reneegigliotti's response:
I am very much the same re needing precise, concrete, and clear boundaries and frank, honest communication with my team - I guess the difference between you and me is only in the language, but I'm sure the meanings are the same or similar.

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

Differentiating bipolar disorder from borderline personality disorderExpert
Borderline personality disorder is a condition in which people can very easily become angry and upset in response to stresses -- especially ... More
Was this Helpful?
108 of 125 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.