Skip to content

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
My name is Markus, I'm 41, Single, and I am Bipolar
markusmc72 posted:
Hello, my name is Markus, my life has been like a "roller coaster" for me ever since I was a kid. When I was a kid, I was as normal as possible, I didn't have to take meds, I was able to make friends. Then my late Dad retired from the Air Force and moved all of us to Maine in 1980. I had family in Maine but they were far from the town I grew up in. I didn't know anyone in that town, it sucked trying to make new friends. There wasn't much work there either when I got older. I worked odd jobs and helped stack wood for my Dad every fall. When my American Grandmother died, I was in shock, I never been through death before. I was scared of it for years until my Dad died. I lost a lot of family members while I went through depression. I was diagnosed with BD in 1998 before I moved to Massachusetts. I was able to find work, but making friends is still hard for me to do. I am unemployed now, trying to enjoy my days despite my Mother dying from Dementia in a Nursing Home. I write on my spare time; I am writing my first professional Play about my Parents and my bout with Bipolar. I am thankful to still have my Brother and his family for support, but, I want to make new friends; I want to ask for any kind of help to get through these trying days. I have family overseas who are supportive in a limited way. I miss them so much, I don't get to see them very often. I am far from perfect, not very "normal," I see life differently from most of my family. I can go on and on, I should start a blog...

Take the Poll

What one thing makes you happy?
  • A movie
  • A book
  • A type of food
  • Friends
  • Family
vote
View Poll Results

slik_kitty responded:
sorry no one has responded yet. haven't been able to get on the board for 3 days. what are your hobbies? you could find a group with similar interests, or just go out and do what your hobby is and meet other people who like the same things. don't be afraid to be yourself.

also, your outlook on life has alot to do with being able to draw people to you. if you are depressed and withdrawn, people tend to stay away, but if you are happy and outgoing, you will draw more people to you.

markusmc72 replied to slik_kitty's response:
With my Mother in the Nursing Home, my outlook on life is not very rosey. It is hard to make friends in my town as well. I thought I might volunteer and/or take a night class. I am a good writer, I love to find a writing group...

slik_kitty responded:
there's a website called meetup. you can look for people there who have the same interests as you and either form a group or join a group that gets together to socialize.

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

Kee pyour head up
Don't let this illness bring you down. Always keep you head to the sky because someone is watching you and I. Sometimes this illness can ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.