Skip to content

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
Had last day
ddnos posted:
So yesterday was my last day with my therapist, and it hasn't quite sunk in. It didn't feel like it should be the last day because it almost felt like any other day with her since I've been seeing her for so long. I think that's partly why it hasn't really hit me yet. The one good thing (which I already knew about, but didn't know the exact details yet) is that she told me that until I get established with someone else, I can call her once a month and that the boundary around that is we can talk no longer than 15 min each time. She feels that it would be cruel as a human being to just end our time together without any contact since we've been together for so many years. So at least this will give me a bit of time to adjust rather than an abrupt ending.

I have an appt with my doctor this morning because she wanted to see me the day after my session with my tdoc - I'm so blessed to have her! Not sure how I would handle all of this (and other stuff) without her!

Anyway, just checking in............

Debbie
Forgiveness is letting go of the hope that the past could have been any different --Unknown

slik_kitty responded:
((((dd))))

reneegigliotti responded:
I'm curious why your therapist or psychiatrist didn't make a referral for you to a new therapist while you and she were winding down your sessions? That way you would have had some transition time into a new therapeutic relationship and you wouldn't feel so abandoned. I had a therapist for 12 years. She retired. My psychiatrist referred me to someone he really thought would be a good fit. My old therapist and my current therapist had an opportunity to communicate and get input from my psychiatrist. My transition from a relationship of 12 years into my now relationship of 3 years went really well. My psychiatrist did a great job. By the way, I adore my new psychologist and I know that pleases my old one.

ddnos replied to reneegigliotti's response:
Hi Reneegigliotti,

It's actually a long story that Im not sure I could adequately explain without possibly making my now former tdoc look bad. I don't want to do that because I know she did nothing bad, but without knowing all the little details involved, it's kind of hard to understand via this board.

I will still have contact with my tdoc every month until either I get established with another tdoc or it's no longer needed. I greatly appreciate that she will do that. I actually don't feel abandoned by her - possibly part of the reason for that is because we've been working on this for a long time, and because she will still keep in contact with me for a while. I'm currently doing Ok, but I was seeing her more on an as needed bases for the past few years, so my guess is that the first time I will want to email her to ask for a session but I won't be able to - THAT'S when it will officiailly become more difficult. I do have some good support, so I'm not left entirely on my own.

I have decided that Im not going to look for another therapist until when/if I start to feel the need to have one again. I don't want to look for one just because that's "the thing to do", you know? I know myself enough to know when or if I will need to find someoen, and I trust that I will find just the right person when/if that becomes necessary.

Thanks for what you shared and I'm glad you had a smooth transition between therapists!

Debbie
Forgiveness is letting go of the hope that the past could have been any different --Unknown

reneegigliotti replied to ddnos's response:
I'm really glad you are doing ok. I'm sure when you are ready you will find just the right person. I firmly believe that those of us with complex bipolar disorder in particular need our treatment team to work closely together. I have been extraordinarily blessed to have my psychiatrist of over 18 years and my now therapist of 3 years work together seamlessly. They have, together, guided me through psychotic manias and depressions, rapid cycling bipolar 1 disorder, and medication absorption difficulties because of GI surgery. I have been consistently employed in a very responsible career and able to keep hospitalizations to a minimum because they work well together. I owe both of them my independence and my self-respect. I want everyone in treatment to have what I am lucky enough to have

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

Screen out people who can't seem to "get it"....
There are some people who can't or won't understand at all. My wife is bipolar, and some people are more understanding than others. We ... More
Was this Helpful?
34 of 40 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.