Skip to content

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
I want to QUIT my job again!!!
beetrue posted:
No one seems to understand nor want to understand it. I have been called space cadet asked if I smoke crack. My supervisor told the manager what was said about smoking crack. He of course stuck up for my co-worker and basically said I was in the wrong for calling him at 7:30 when he starts at 2:30. I agreed with him I made a mistake, Later that day the manger asked if he smoked crack and laughed. Again, the group gossip is about me and my mistakes. Every job I have had in the past 7 years last for 4 months then the cycle begins starts with whispering, then gossip why do I even try. That's how I feel. You would think people mature after high school. How do I change this cycle from happening .... if I knew how to stay in mania I would at less then I feel smarter and said what is on mind .. I was told today is the mistakes do not stop I will be FIRED .. I am ready to tell everyone right off ...
FirstPrevious12NextLast

slik_kitty responded:
you stop the cycle by not listening to the others and stop letting it bother you. you are there to do a job, and that is it. you don't have to be friends with everyone and not everyone is going to like you. just ignore them and pay attention to your job.

ibex7 responded:
This advice may not apply to everyone here, butt I suggest that soon after you are hired, you have a private talk with your Human Resources Manager. Explain that you have an emotional handicap that is protected under the 1993
disabled Employees Act. Managers in HR should be very well acquainted with giving you a fair amount of time to learn your duties at the new job, By Law.

If you think you are being treated unfairly under this Act, do not talk to anyone further. Call your attorney and explain the problem. Awards in the six figure range have been won in court against employers who violate the conditions of this law.

Above all, do not stop looking for work. You are a unique individual with drive and skills whose labor can serve the company and your community if you are not discriminated against. The law says you have a right to work and be compensated for your unique abilities if you are not treated fairly. Best wishes and I hope you never give in to manager's threats or prejudice. - Goat
Sometimes you don't mean to say what you mean to say you mean.

reneegigliotti responded:
As someone with severe bipolar 1 disorder and who has been continuously employed for 30 years, I have learned a few things over these decades about working with my disorder. First, the people you work with are not really your friends. They are your colleagues. You can be friendly, but releasing too much personal information is a recipe for disaster. Second, only your supervisor needs to have enough information about your medical condition so that when you need to call in sick or be hospitalized (which happens to me on occasion) because your treatment team says you have to, he or she won't think you are avoiding your responsibilities out of laziness. Third, if and only if, you truly believe you are being discriminated against (and it's not a paranoid delusion, I know I've had them), then have a heart to heart with HR. Always start with your immediate supervisor, however. When you present yourself to him or her be professional, come with facts, come with a letter from your psychiatrist if needed, discuss what bipolar diorder is and is not. Do not threaten a law suit. Do not scream legal action to your supervisor or HR. If legal action is required, make that decision in consultation with a disabilities lawyer ONLY. It is far better to have a job and the dignity that comes with it than to throw it away out of frustration. SSDI is a poor substitute for work when it comes to the human spirit.

beetrue replied to slik_kitty's response:
I would like to say thank you for your advice. And you are right about people being coworkers and not friends. If you don t mind me asking what type of positions have you been in

beetrue replied to ibex7's response:
You are right in the way of being able to go to HR dept. And be able to speak freely, but I have worked for small companies basically the owner works in the office as well. If you don t mind me asking what type of position have you worked in

beetrue replied to reneegigliotti's response:
Have you been able to stay at one job for long periods. And if you don't mind me asking what type of positions have you worked in.

reneegigliotti replied to beetrue's response:
Yes. I was at one position for 16 years and my current position for 12. I am a cancer researcher. I have several graduate degrees and have been a scientific researcher for my entire adult life. I do have severe bipolar 1 disorder and I have had times where I've had to take sick leave or be hospitalized for treatment. When I had my child, I required 8 weeks of hospitalization for bipolar treatment. I always went right back to work as soon as my treatment team gave me permission. My employers have never seen my disorder as being any different from having heart disease, diabetes, or other chronic disease that needs treatment on occasion. That is how I present it when I have to. Bipolar disorder is a brain disease. I simply refuse to be ashamed of it and I refuse to let it keep me from doing the work I love and am good at.

reneegigliotti replied to beetrue's response:
Entirely scientific research. Mostly cancer research but also environmental toxicology. They are related.

slik_kitty replied to beetrue's response:
i'm a chemist and have worked in several labs since diagnosed.

reneegigliotti replied to slik_kitty's response:
What kind of lab work do you do? I was QA Director for a group of Environmental Chemistry laboratories for almost 18 years. I then went into cancer research because I eventually lost sight of the science and my career became about contracts, environmental law, government regulations, endless meetings, and lots of travel. I needed to get back to my scientific roots and I really needed to not be traveling 60% of the time. Now I do no traveling and I can concentrate on trying to find treatments for patients suffering from this horrific disease. I'm much happier now than I was flying coast to coast and agonizing about huge analytical science contracts. This is better.

ibex7 replied to beetrue's response:
I'm a retired Medical Lab Technologist. The political atmosphere in hospitals is little different from any other vocation. Fortunate that like renee, my professional life was personally very satisfying and I was usually able too avoid the politics/ social committments that I repeated watched destroy jobs and workers,as well.

Right of all of you here to find self value along with the money you earn by working. Good on you!
Sometimes you don't mean to say what you mean to say you mean.

reneegigliotti replied to ibex7's response:
I think it is critically important that those of us with even severe bipolar disorder get the word out that we are perfectly capable of fully participating in the workforce on a high level. There are so many positives to satisfying work. First, of course, the satisfaction of being financially self-sufficient. Second, the sense of competence work provides. Third, the self-respect work provides. Fourth, the sense of normalcy that a workday pattern creates. Fifth, it's tendency of work to provide purpose and direction. Sixth, the impact that feeling intellectually and creatively valued has on helping during a bipolar episode. I think all these gifts work provides are overlooked because it can be VERY HARD at times to be bipolar and work. Just because it's hard, however, doesn't mean it is not something worth doing.

ddnos replied to reneegigliotti's response:
reneegigliotti, I agree 110% - sounds strange, maybe, that I would agree considering I'm currently on disability, but I do! I absolutely do NOT believe that just because one is diagnosed with bipolar 1 or 2 or any other mental illness that it automatically means the person is not capable of paid employment on various levels! I think that, at least in part, the mental health community overall has directly and indirectly taught that message, and it makes me sad!

There are no doubt people who really are not able to work due to their mental illness, BUT, I am of the opinion that likely most of those (us) can get to the point of being able to get back to work if we want to and work hard to get there! Maybe not everybody, but I don't think that we all need to STAY on disability for a lifetime.

I was on disability for about 5 years and then worked full time for 5 years. Most of that 5th year I had to work part time due to serious problems I was having with my health (physical and mental) because of a medication. I then had to be reinstated onto disability a few years ago and have been so ever since. I don't intend on staying on disability though. Not because I think I would be a "bad" person for staying on it, but because I know that I'm capable of working, and I WANT to work. That is my goal - even if that means part time work, so be it!

Ok, I think I just rambled again. lol

Debbie
Forgiveness is letting go of the hope that the past could have been any different --Unknown

slik_kitty replied to reneegigliotti's response:
yes i am in environmental chemistry. i'm an inorganic chemist.

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

Kee pyour head up
Don't let this illness bring you down. Always keep you head to the sky because someone is watching you and I. Sometimes this illness can ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.