Skip to content

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
I think I found a new tdoc
ddnos posted:
Ok, so I KNOW this is going to sound crazy - maybe because it probably is a little bit, lol, but I THINK I may have found my new tdoc!

I have contacted a total of 8 therapist over the past 2-3 months or so, the last 2 of them I met last week. It seemed as though I would actually choose between one of the two, and was hoping that I would know; but I also knew it could end up being neither of them.

So when I met them, I liked them both, but had no particular leaning toward either of them and wondered if either of them would work.

Ok, so let me explain something before I continue.

I've always known this, but when I had to have comprehensive cognitive testing about 2 years ago, it was confirmed. Among other parts of my memory, my visual memory is considered greatly impaired that tested at the HIGHEST of in the 9th percentile, lowest, 2nd percentile range! One of the ways this manifests itself is that it will take up to and over a year before I can remember what someone looks like - someone I see regularly. Like, I've been seeing my current doctor almost a year every 3 weeks, but I cannot recall from memory what she looks like. That's only one way this visual memory deficit is manifest.

Ok, so back to my search for a tdoc.

I absolutely could not decide which of the tdocs I wanted to at least try to work with, if either of them. I even scheduled a consult with somoene else for next week. Then yesterday morning I woke up and it dawned on me - "I remember what tdoc #7 looks like!" lol I laid there in bed completely awestruck (believe me, to do that is pretty impressive for my brain! lol)

Then all of the sudden it hit me - SHE'S my new tdoc! lol I tried to convince myself that remembering what she looks like is NOT how one should decide upon a therapist! So I thought I should just sit on it and keep my next weeks consult appt and keep the following weeks appt with the other tdoc, and then decide after that - but I couldn't! Something inside kept nagging at me, saying, "Why? Why keep those appointments when you know that tdoc #7 is the one?" Then I'd answer myself (I know, huh? lol)..and I'd say, "Yeah right! Based on what? That you remember what she looks like, and that NEVER happens?" ......I said, "Heck yeah!" So I got on the computer and politely cancelled those 2 appointments and emailed her to make my first session with her, which will be next Tuesday! lol

Say what? I mean WHO decides a tdoc this way? lol Of course, I already knew that I liked her based on first impression (half hr on phone and half hr in person) but I still didn't know what to do until my realization!

So there you have it, "How to Choose a Therapist 101 for Dummies!" lol

Debbie
Forgiveness is letting go of the hope that the past could have been any different --Unknown

tryforever responded:
Thats great news! Hope everything works out well

L

ddnos replied to tryforever's response:
Thank you, so do I!

Btw, how are you doing?

Debbie
Forgiveness is letting go of the hope that the past could have been any different --Unknown

reneegigliotti responded:
I think it's wonderful! You connected with her, not just on a cognitive tangible level but on an intangible level. She was safe for you to remember. My guess is that this is why you remembered her. She felt safe. You can have no better quality in a therapist than that. I am so pleased for you. Keep letting us know how the get acquainted sessions go. It sounds like you are off to a great start.

slik_kitty responded:
yay! you go with your weirdness girl! he he he

ddnos replied to reneegigliotti's response:
Renee, thank you for understanding, and I never looked at it that way, i..e re feeling safe.

I will for sure keep y'all updated on my initial sessions with her, though you might regret asking me to, i.e. too much rambling lol

I'm just glad that the search SEEMS to be over! Time will tell on that one, for it feels like it is.

Debbie

ddnos replied to slik_kitty's response:
lol Kitty, I wouldn't have it any other way - you know that! You would probably think there was something wrong with me if there wasn't a bit of "weirdness" sprinkled in. lol....but that goes the same with you, I hope you realize!

slik_kitty replied to ddnos's response:
i'm not weird. of all the noive! he he he

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

Patience for the Holidays and every day life
Tips 1. Boredom can make it difficult to be patient. If you're waiting in the doctor's office and the only thing you can concentrate on is ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 5 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.