Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
Post mania depression
reneegigliotti posted:
The good news is I am completely off the klonopin and I made it through a manic episode without becoming psychotic and without needing an admission, thanks of course to my treatment team. Now it's the post-mania depression rebound. I keep telling my psychiatrist I have a harder time dealing with the depression than the mania. He retorts that I'm much more self destructive when I'm manic. I've only once been hospitalized for depression. It was pretty intense. I have, however, been hospitalized more times than I care to admit for psychotic mania. I don't feel pain when I'm severely manic. Depression, as the commercial says, hurts. I guess I just hurt right now.

ddnos responded:
I've heard so may people say they would rather experience mania than depression even when/if the repercussions of mania are worse. I makes perfect sense to me because depression is so debilitating in ways that mania isn't.

I hope that you level out soon and get out of this post mania depression. In the meantime, do something each day that could help you feel better at least in that moment. This will pass.

Debbie
Forgiveness is letting go of the hope that the past could have been any different --Unknown

ibex7 responded:
True, true, renee. Who doesn't feel their best when they are happy, stimulated, untethered, and, yes, even wreckless and out of control? We need to realize that stability is our goal both for ourselves and the ppl around us. Whether by medication or therapy, depression is the pits. (no joke) Remember that mood swings are ordinary for most everyone are ordinary and the best each of us can do is strive for responsiibility and to yield to professional help.
Sometimes you don't mean to say what you mean to say you mean.

reneegigliotti replied to ibex7's response:
I know exactly what you are saying. Thank you for the support. The boom-a-rang effect of intense mania to depression can be totally disorienting and very painful. I'm glad I have a great psychiatrist and psychologist. I defer to their judgement when my own is questionable.

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

Screen out people who can't seem to "get it"....
There are some people who can't or won't understand at all. My wife is bipolar, and some people are more understanding than others. We ... More
Was this Helpful?
34 of 40 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.