Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
looking at the front door
An_255539 posted:
I want to know what is the success rate for married couples when one is diagnosed with bipolar disorder . I mean I'm trying hard to hold on but the constant flip flop from I'm the greatest husband in the world . To the exact opposite using words I'd rather not repeat. To everytime I decide to leave the house it's side chick day. I too am feeling trapped and don't think I want to do this anymore

slik_kitty responded:
marriage can survive it but it takes commitment and love. it takes two people working together to make any marriage work. with mental illness it is harder but can still work with two people supporting each other. if you don't love her enough to commit to helping her through this, then it is time to get out.

ibex7 responded:
Hello, An_255etc.

If I may add some encouragement to a life decision you have already made. After 22 years the relationship between a bipolar 2 and a lovely depressed lady on hormone replacement therapy, graduated to what is known by most couples as the devotional era. Stressors mounted in regards to jobs, family, finance, butt did not disturb the spiritual glue that bonded their love.

Then one day, the lady experienced a surprise seizure, a rapid diagnosis of neurbplastoma, and 2 years passed before long.

That was 7 years ago, and I still long to meet this wonderful woman again, in our next life, together. Best Wishes to you.
Sometimes you don't mean to say what you mean to say you mean.

ginpene responded:
Is your wife taking meds, doing therapy, trying to get better? I have had bipolar for 30 years, married for 33 yr. I am a nurse, so I am aware of the importance of dealing with all this proactively, but without my husband I don't know what I would do. We have always looked at marriage as an investment- if you pull out early you loose all that initial emotional deposit and growth. Can't say it has always been easy, but we appreciate our good and not so good characteristics and support each other. I hope that difficulty works out for you. Good luck.
GP2013

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

Screen out people who can't seem to "get it"....
There are some people who can't or won't understand at all. My wife is bipolar, and some people are more understanding than others. We ... More
Was this Helpful?
34 of 40 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.