Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
Includes Expert Content
Is depakote 1st or 2nd line of defense? (bipolar 1 with dellusions) what about limictal as a mood stalblizer??
blessed8991 posted:

reneegigliotti responded:
Good Dr. G question.

Joseph F Goldberg, MD responded:
Dear blessed, Depakote and lithium are both considered the traditional first-line treatments for mania. Neither alone treats psychosis (delusions, hallucinations) very well though so an antipsychotic often gets added. Nowadays the pharmaceutical manufacturers of atypical antipsychotics advertise their branded products quite heavily to doctors and patients alike, leading to probably a much wider misperception that antipsychotics are routinely first-line over lithium and Depakote...which are generic drugs and therefore don't get their rightful airplay. Lamotrigine has little if any antimanic properties and no antipsychotic properties. Its role would mainly be for preventing depression relapse. Dr G.

blessed8991 replied to Joseph F Goldberg, MD's response:
wow!!!! really...lamictal is mostly for depression instead of mania or both...that is helpful. I do think I will change back to depakote or at least discuss it with my doc. What do you think of latuda?? I currently take abilify and saphris...both very low doses. Thanks!!

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

TO DROP MY WEIGHT, I DROPPED THE DIET SOFT DRINKS.
Been on Zonegran for about five years and a type II diabetic for 35 years using metaformin and insulin. It appears the jury is in for me on ... More
Was this Helpful?
6 of 10 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.