Skip to content

Announcements

Exciting News for WebMD Members!

We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

What Do You Need to Do?

The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
    Includes Expert Content
    Psychosis and mania (Dr. G question)
    reneegigliotti posted:
    Hi Dr. G,

I'm curious why some people experience mania but don't have the severe delusions and sensory distortions and other people (like me) do. Are psychotic symptoms common in severe mania or is just a subset of patients who experience them on a regular basis? There is for me a point in time where mania ceases to be fun and starts to become disorientating and a serious safety problem. I can't see the cross-over but my psychiatrist and psychologist can. As they are fond of saying "I have no insight" at those times. Is this experience common?

Joseph F Goldberg, MD responded:
    Dear Renee, About half of people with bipolar I disorder at some point may have delusions or hallucinations while they're manic. Hypomania, in bipolar II disorder, by definition means no psychosis (otherwise it would be called bipolar I mania). Some people may be more psychosis-prone than others, and in fact those who develop psychosis when neither manic or depressed would likely be said to have schizoaffective disorder. Dr G

reneegigliotti replied to Joseph F Goldberg, MD's response:
    My Dr. G and I have discussed whether my psychotic symptoms linger past the resolution of the manic episodes. What I told him is that it is very hard, even after an episode, for me to hold on to the reality that what I believed, saw or heard during mania wasn't in fact real. I can sort of intellectually entertain the idea but I'm not convinced that it's true. For example, I remain afraid that what I hallucinate will appear at any second and that they are just laying in wait for me. However, I kinda of know on some level that's not real. My psychiatrist says as long as I can keep room in my brain for the idea that these things aren't real, we are ok. I cannot hold that in my brain at all while manic, however.

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

Screen out people who can't seem to "get it"....
    There are some people who can't or won't understand at all. My wife is bipolar, and some people are more understanding than others. We ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    37 of 43 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.