Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
Rapid Cycling Bipolar new member
chango714 posted:
I am new to this community. I was misdiagnosed for 20 years as clinical depressive and only given Imipramine (Tofranil). Now i know why I was in the mania cycle for so long. So now i'm on 4 different scripts and seem to be depressed all the time and rapid cycling.
So that being said, hello to everyone

designmom651 responded:
Welcome Chango,
I feel your pain, I was misdiagnosed as ADD for 20 years and just this last September as Bp1 rapid cycling with pyschotic features. But now with the meds I am feeling alot more comfort. Not all the time, but it is getting better. Hopefully now you are on the right track to feeling some relief.

khandy5 responded:
Hello chango. I am sorry that you have been experiencing the rapid cycling and mania that is not a good mix. How did your Psy deal with your rapid cycling and mania?
I asked because the last time I was rapid cycling and having manic episodes with psychotic features my psy doctor admitted me into the hospital. It was the best decision that he could have done for me. In the hospital I was treated with meds that slowed my brain down and helped me to stop the rapid cycling. Also there they were able to track my meds and my improvement. There I met the best psych that I ever had.
It was very organized and structured with group therapy times a day. If you dont mind what meds do they have you on. Im currently on Latuda and Lamicatal it seems to be working for my BP 1 with mixed episodes.

reneegigliotti replied to khandy5's response:
I've been in a rapid cycling phase for about a year. I too have bipolar 1 disorder with psychotic features. My rapid cycling episodes are the result of my massively fluctuating glucose levels (as low as 31 and as high as 500 ) as a result of gastric bypass surgery (4 years post surgery). I have been formally diagnosed with type two diabetes, uncontrolled. My psychiatrist, endocrinologist, and gastric bypass surgeon all agree that until my glucose levels stabilize my bipolar disorder will continue to be severely effected. Unfortunately, my ability to absorb medication and the way my GI tract processes food makes controlling the glucose levels really hard. My advice to anyone rapid cycling suddenly is to make sure there isn't an accompanying medical cause. My psychiatrist told me yesterday that until my glucose levels are stabilized, he can medicate me for bipolar symptoms (psychotic mania and psychotic depressions) but we weren't going to end the cycles. I see the endocrinologist again on Tuesday. My psychiatrist and endocrinologist are consulting with each other. I so want them to come up with a treatment program I can follow. I am devastated by this rapid cycling. It's reeking havoc with my professional and personal life.

monkeybee replied to reneegigliotti's response:
To rapid cyclers, how often do you cycle typically? I'm curious because I've read 4 or more cycles in a year is rapid cycling but also heard folks talk about cycling in a couple of days.

reneegigliotti replied to monkeybee's response:
I'm averaging every 6 to 8 weeks.

designmom651 replied to monkeybee's response:
Every couple to few weeks for me. My story of meds just started in January so I feel great for a couple weeks and as my body adjust I go manic and call and they add or up doses of meds. Then I am usually better the next day. Its a process to get the right "cocktail".

sammy6944 responded:
Welcome to the community . I am also new. I like you, was diagnosed with just depression for years until I was 29 (6 years ago). I am also on a cocktail of meds. How long have you been taking these meds? I am still trying new meds. It is frustrating though. You don't want to feel depressed, but you also don't want to be manic. This illness is just a pain in the you know what!

sammy6944 replied to khandy5's response:
What does Bipolar 1 with psychotic features mean? That kind of sounds like me, but I was diagnosed as just Bipolar 1.

khandy5 replied to sammy6944's response:
Hi Sammy, Bipolar 1 with psychotic features in a nutshell means that you have lost a touch of reality typically delusions or hallucinations. I have only had the loss of touch of reality or delusions. No hallucinations. It usually comes with mania.

designmom651 replied to sammy6944's response:
I have the BP1 with pschotic features. Being I thought I had a stalker, that I was a "medium", that I was Jesus and had to save all the homeless people, and quit my high paying job.

Anon_162468 responded:
hello chango714
Very sorry to hear of your unfortunate misdiagnosis!

Also sorry to hear that with 4 meds going you are depressed all the time & rapid cycling.

However, I AM very glad you are here to talk to us!

I have found great advice/help here, and I hope you do as well.

Blessings!
~S

blessed8991 replied to Anon_162468's response:
I honestly have to say that I don't know what my "cycle" time is...I mean I always seem to think a few "God-like" things that I kinda don't believe are true and some days I am real down and feel pointless, but it doesn't last...I feel like I am both ways all the time...I am down until I drag myself into the shower and then I talk faster than say the average folks...I have been BP since 1997, but even still at this point I often wonder which "personality" to show my doc...I am generally "made-up" with my make-up and all so she certainly see the "good" me!!!!!! I PRESENT the good me to the outside world...which is why I often get "you don't deserve disability money!!! They see the view-able me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Does anyone else PRESENT a kinda fake self???

1966boobear replied to blessed8991's response:
Yes, I pretty much keep a smiley face on in public and at work. Sometimes I have visible depression at work, depending on how bad the situation is that's bothering me, but usually I tell myself to "suck it up" and smile to the world. I don't want to be preceived as a basket case or anything that would negatively impact my job. I have to talk to myself all the time, and tell the negative thoughts to just shut up sometimes. I've got a phrase I say when things get really rough and I can't seem to control my emotions. I write it down and read it over and over... I write "Just turn it OFF"...and like a switch...I quit thinking about whatever is wrong and I turn my mind off from the emotions. Of course when I'm alone, I turn it back on and the emotions come rolling out like giant waves....I cry uncontrollably for a while, then just tell myself to lay down and take a nap...that it will be better when I wake up. I know that is no cure, but it is how I cope with the days.

chattychattykathy responded:
I refused to let my MD diagnose me as Bipolar. Who wants to be bipolar!!! Plus...I am not classic bipolar. I figured you had to be up shopping all night and losing your home because you spent all your money gambling followed by spending multiple days/wks in bed. I would tell my doctor I wasn't depressed.....I was just angry..... So......now I accept my diagnosis.....and I am probably a rapid cycler too......Guess I will join......Thanks....

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

Screen out people who can't seem to "get it"....
There are some people who can't or won't understand at all. My wife is bipolar, and some people are more understanding than others. We ... More
Was this Helpful?
34 of 40 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.