Skip to content

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
Includes Expert Content
lamictal rash
chattychattykathy posted:
My doc just stopped my Lamictal as I developed a rash 3 days ago. I googled it and it didn't look like the "lamictal rash" so I ignored it until it really flared up. Now it looks like the lamictal rash although I am not sick feeling. I have been off Lamictal for 24hrs and am having another rash flare up-bumps going from small/slightly raised and minimal itching to very raised and feeling the need to rip by eyeballs out. I am a nurse, my airway is intact....so I am not worried about some acute reaction...but my body is definitely reacting to something......Maybe I am allergic to myself!!!

Joseph F Goldberg, MD responded:
Dear chattychattykathy,
Serious Lamictal rashes, which are most common in the first 8 weeks of treatment, are not allergic reactions but rather hypersensitivity reactions, often with systemic involvement. Stopping the drug is key but if the rash is persisting it would make sense to contact your doctor so he or she can evaluate and recommend whether a topical steroid, oral antihistamine, or possibly oral steroid is indicated.
Dr. G.

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

Screen out people who can't seem to "get it"....
There are some people who can't or won't understand at all. My wife is bipolar, and some people are more understanding than others. We ... More
Was this Helpful?
34 of 40 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.