Skip to content

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
New Bipolar Member-Can some of you share your successful med combos
chattychattykathy posted:
I sooooo want to have a discussion with somebody....anybody!!!!

This diagnosis is sooo hard to swallow. At first it was just PTSD and anxiety disorder..... Now....BIpolar has been added-don't know if he has "typed" it.

It is soooo hard to maintain my job. I ultimately am on 4 meds that affect my mood. I have to take meds to put me to sleep or I would never sleep......EVER!!!

I don't see anyone discussing how hard this is on our partners/spouses. They have to ride the roller coaster with us. I am soooo lucky to have a partner who is willing to support me as I go up and down constantly.

I am very good at hiding it. Everyone at work thinks I have one speed-steady.....what a joke!!!! They have no idea how crazy my brain is.....

Thank God for medication!!! Would some of you share your medication combos.

mercygive responded:
Hi ChattyChattyKathy
Sorry. A little long-winded today. I have been married for 30 years. I am enough for my husband to handle without kids. All of our married life he has suffered by my side during the long bouts severe depression, spending sprees, drinking, mean streaks just a few to mention. I have worked full-time all of my adult life with the exception of a few layoffs. He supported me when I tried to finish school in the evenings. I had a nervous breakdown 15 years ago when I was diagnosed. Huge let down for me and had to except my limitations — everyone has their own limitations. I was typed Bipolar 1 two years ago when off medications I had a psychotic manic episode. Looking back, I have had psychosis on and off all of my adult life and maybe some during childhood, but not always severe and not with every episode. I look back at all the painful choices I've made because of this insidious illness. My husband and therapist try to keep me in the here and now.

I talk to myself, incessantly. I say "stop" to myself to try to stop the barrage of thoughts in my mind and don't always realize when I say "stop" out loud. My therapist suggested I wear an ear phone in public to not bring attention to myself when talking out loud. Recently, I switched from Seroquel to Latuda so now my med combo is Latuda and Lamotrigine. I can fall asleep but don't stay asleep. I don't think Latuda is helping me all that much with hypo-mania, but maybe with the psychosis — I don't know. I do feel like I have my personality back. I have not been depressed since on this med combo.

I drive on average about 250 each week so it is important that my meds are safe enough for me to drive to and from work so that I can work. I like to work. It keeps my mind occupied. I get depressed during times when I am not busy. I feel that by working I can contribute to my marriage to make up for the grief, sleepless nights for both of us, and the expense of doctors and meds. I am also strong enough to support him and family during their times of need
A little yoga goes a long way

ddnos responded:
Hi chattychattykathy and welcome to the boards! Hey, that should be my real name (the chatty part) lol because I talk...and talk...and then talk some more! Hmmm, I even type too much lol

Anyway, I'm not married or have a partner, but you also asked to share what med combos we have, so I can share that part.

I have been on meds for 23 years. After trying several different meds, I ended up with Nardil and Lithium and have been on that for 23 years with the exception of having to go off Nardil a few times very temporarily for medical related reasons. That combo has worked well for me for the most part. I am diagnosed with Bipolar type 2, so at least one of the likely reason that my meds have helped for so long is because I do not have BP1, which has a whole other set of issues to deal with that I don't.

Re sleep, one of the side effects of Nardil is insomnia, so I have had to deal with that for 23 yrs as well. When I've been employed, I don't have as bad of problem with sleeping - though my average hrs of sleep while working is about 5-6 hrs, but w/o trouble getting to sleep or staying asleep those hrs. (most of the time) I would have to take a sleeping pill about 1 day per week while working, usually sunday night.

When I'm not working, it's naturally more difficult for me to sleep because not as much mental and physical activity, so have to take sleeping pills more often. I never take them nightly for more than 4 consecutive nights (most the time) because they start to not work as well much beyond that anyway. I also (as of about 5 yrs ago) alternate temazepam and lorazepam so that I'm not taking any one med for sleep all the time. I may take 1 30mg temaz a couple nights then if have to take something the 3rd night, will take 2, 1mg loraz that night. If I think it's going to be a more difficult sleep night, I will take 1 of each....I have been taking temaz for about 22 yrs (obviously, not nightly, but that's the sleep aid I have used that many years other than adding loraz 5 yrs ago)

I still do have nights where I don't sleep at all - but not all the time, and usually it's because I thought I didn't need a sleep aid that night, but did, then was too late to take one when i thought to. But don't think have ever had consecutive nights of no sleep.

OH, so this one doesn't make sense, but not only do I need something to help me sleep, but as of about 7 years ago, I also need a med to keep me from sleeping all day! lol I don't take the med every day and will go through long periods where I don't need it at all, then other times where I need it about 50% of the month, but i just think it's funny

Ok, you see why chatty should be my name now? lol

Again, welcome to the board and post as little or much as you like!

Debbie
Forgiveness is letting go of the hope that the past could have been any different --Unknown

ginpene responded:
Hi, welcome to the site. I am kinda new to it, too.
I have been on meds since 1980, first for depression, and then later for bipolar. For the last 8 or 10 yr. I have been basically stable on Wellbutrin, Buspar, Lithium, Seroquel, and Temazepam. I can never sleep without the Temazepam, but I have not gotten addicted to it, like needing higher and higher dose for the effect effect. I do worry about sedation during the day, so I am careful to never drive untit I am 12 hours out after taking my pm meds. I also have dereased my Lithium lately with my pdoc's input to deal with the sedation.
Regarding my husband, I am also lucky to have a supportive one. And I try to support him in any way I can, too, so he's not the only one giving and giving and giving. I also am great at faking it, but now he can read me, after 33 years, so that's really better.
Anyhow,that's all I can offer. Hang in there with the meds.gp
GP2013

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

Differentiating bipolar disorder from borderline personality disorderExpert
Borderline personality disorder is a condition in which people can very easily become angry and upset in response to stresses -- especially ... More
Was this Helpful?
112 of 129 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.