Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
Bipolar "Crazy" Terms
monkeybee posted:
I always refer to my manias as times I am insane...but if my hubs says it, it gets under my skin.

I often refer to my illness as madness.

How do all of you feel about all or one of the terms, "crazy", "mad", "insane", "out of your mind"...etc,etc?

Also, do you like Bipolar or do you like the older term of manic depression better?

I personally like manic depression, I think it is better suited for our illness! Anyway, I thought this might be a fun discussion.

slik_kitty responded:
I prefer the term nuts. i call myself nuts, my friends nuts. we're all nuts. he he he. oh and my friends call me nuts too. lol

monkeybee replied to slik_kitty's response:
You're nuts!!!!!!!!!!! ha

mercygive responded:
My husband tells me I'm insane in the main brain and I just laugh. As long as people call me crazy in a light-hearted way for fun I don't get offended and no one has called me crazy and been nasty about. Bipolar is easier to say but sounds more insane than manic-depression.
A little yoga goes a long way

reneegigliotti replied to mercygive's response:
I once had my cardiovascular surgeon ask me if I was "mentally unbalanced" when he saw that I was bipolar and had a family history of schizophrenia. His comment vaguely annoyed me but it really ticked off my psychiatrist. He told me that if my surgeon really wanted an answer to that question ,I (meaning me) was not the right person to ask and the surgeon should consult him. I was more amused that my psychiatrist was more offended for me than I was. It was kind of cute. I rarely take offense at pejorative terms regarding my illness. I grew up with two raging paranoid schizophrenics. By the time I was 10 I had heard it all from neighbors, classmates, the police, teachers, the mailman, etc. You get used to it.

monkeybee replied to mercygive's response:
Insane in the main brain, huh? That's funny. I won't tell my husband that or he will start saying it too, lol.

monkeybee replied to reneegigliotti's response:
Wow! I don't know what I would have made of that comment. It would have, at least, hurt my feelings but I don't speak up for myself too often. It's sounds ridiculous though! I've read you discuss your pdoc on this thread and on others and he sounds awesome! I really love mine too but twice Dr G (this Dr G:)) has said something, with research behind the reasoning, contrary to my treatment. I think I am going to ask my pdoc about it but I'm afraid because I don't want to offset an excellent relationship. I'm torn about it!

reneegigliotti replied to monkeybee's response:
Because I'm a researcher, my psychiatrist is used to me bringing new information to him. Sometimes he agrees and sometimes he doesn't (typical research back and forth) but he's never taken offense. I suggest bringing something in published form for him to chew on. For instance I might bring up something Dr. G says on this board, but I try to track down the corresponding literature for my Dr. G. Then he gets to choose what is useful to him rather than me telling him what to do. It works for me.

monkeybee replied to reneegigliotti's response:
Thank you, Renee!

ibex7 replied to monkeybee's response:
Monkey and Renee,

You two really have something there. After the bewilderment of discovering my bipolar dx, I decided that the disorder was going to be "normal life" for ME. The family history was there and I could not deny that cycling was going to be part of my future.

Listen to me now. I was sentencing myself to a lifetime of servitude to self doubt and unhappiness. My connection with you two and others here caused me to want to hear more. (shazaam!)

THIS
Life is "normal" for me and for you, too. Our 'selfie" thoughts belong to us, also. Thanks for sharing yours with all of us.

A Grateful Goat
Sometimes you don't mean to say what you mean to say you mean.

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

Differentiating bipolar disorder from borderline personality disorderExpert
Borderline personality disorder is a condition in which people can very easily become angry and upset in response to stresses -- especially ... More
Was this Helpful?
108 of 125 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.