Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
Seroquel XR vs. "regular" Seroquel
ssmiddy posted:
Hi ya all
I mentioned in another post that my meds were changed today, and I'm now taking Seroquel XR vs. regular Seroquel.

Question: If by chance anyone here has been on each of these meds, what sort of differences did you notice, if any?

I was supposed to take it a few hours ago, but am so used to taking the regular stuff right before bed, I forgot...and am hoping it kicks in faster than I actually expect it to. Ah well, not like I have anything to do really.

Ya all take care & have the best day ya can !!!!!!!
~Sean

ginpene responded:
Hi there. I am 62 yo woman and have been on regular Seroquel for years and years. I also take Wellbutrin, Buspar, Temazepam and Lithium. The Seroquel has been a great med for me. I take it for insomnia and BP. It is sedating and constipating, but these side effects are manageable for me. I take it half an hour or so before I want to sleep, and it really has helped. Of course, I have the Temazepam, too. I am on a monster dose of Seroquel, 700mg, and this weekend am going to start decreasing the dose to see if I still need so much. Good luck to you. Hope this helps.
GP2013

ssmiddy replied to ginpene's response:
Wow, yep, 700mg of regular Seroquel is a lot...I was taking that for a while (100mg in morning, 600mg at bedtime)..

Last night was my second night on the Seroquel XR, and I slept wayyyy too long....I think from about 10pm-430pm, and would still probably be asleep if someone had not knocked at the door.

I can NOT sleep that long every day, even though I'm disabled/retired military & have no job. I just can't. So, I'll take it tonight and see what happens, but Saturday night is not optional cuz I have to teach a Bible study Sunday morning....then I'll try it again Sunday night and call the doc Monday to see what the deal is I reckon.

Thank you sooo very much for responding I appreciate it very much.
Best wishes to you!
~S
~Sean

reneegigliotti replied to ssmiddy's response:
I'm on 800 mg of Seroquel. 600 at night and 200 in the morning.

1957_chevrolet replied to reneegigliotti's response:
I take Seroquel XR which is far better in my situation than
"regular" Seroquel. I would highly recommend the XR version if taking the "regular" is causing problems that the
extended release will not in most cases.

ssmiddy responded:
Oh How Things Change...

Now am not on Seroquel of ANY type. I had a discussion with my psych about feeling as if something different might work better.
I got the standard, "Well what have you been on in the past?," to which my response was, "I'm not sure what I have NOT been on." lol.

Short story is that now I'm on Latuda & Vistaril (in addition to Pristiq & valium & lamictal)....Odd, but the Vistaril does NOT seem to have an additive effect with the valium for me. I was afraid I'd be too sedated, but actually quite the opposite is the case. Works for me....as long as I do not get tooooo excited (to point of mania).

Thanks for all your replies & stuff Very much appreciate them, and I wish you ALL the very best!

~S
~Sean

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

Screen out people who can't seem to "get it"....
There are some people who can't or won't understand at all. My wife is bipolar, and some people are more understanding than others. We ... More
Was this Helpful?
34 of 40 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.