Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
Includes Expert Content
Doc took me of Geodon Dr.G question
designmom651 posted:
Dr.G-
My doctor pulled me off the Geodon because he did not want to jump through the hoops with my insurance. So instead he only upped my Lamictal to 50mg a day (than I am on klonopin daily and xanex as needed). Than he is putting me on a natural pill that is out of St. Louis that is loaded with vitiams. Mind you I was manic from June until November with sever psycotic features, sucidal thoughts all through December. Do you think it is safe not to be on any anti-pscyotic so soon? Spring tends to trigger my mania. Have you heard of this vitiam it is from some company I believe called Bellvue.
Niki
FirstPrevious12NextLast

ddnos responded:
If the problem with your insurance re Geodon is that it's no longer on their formulary of meds they cover or it has to be generic or things of that nature, it's typically not very difficult to have your insurance keep you on the med that works for you.

Actually, you don't have to do anything, it's your prescribing doctor who does. ALl he/she has to do is request from the insurance that an exception be made. "Exception" is the word that is used when making that request. The doctor will say why the exception needs to be made, then if approved, the insurance will contact you usually within 72 hrs. I have needed an "exception" requested on my behalf over the years at least 2-3 times for different meds for different reasons, and each time there was no problem. I'm not saying there would be no problem every time an exception is requested, just saying that if your insurance decides for whatever reason that they aren't going to cover a med you are on and it has been working for you, I would at least try the "exception" route before trying something else. That's just my opinion, and of course, I don't know the kinds of hoops you are having to jump through with your medication. So this "exception" may not apply in your case. So just telling you about this in case it would apply.

Good luck!
Debbie
Forgiveness is letting go of the hope that the past could have been any different --Unknown

ddnos responded:
Oh crap! Sorry designmom - I didn't see this post was addressed to Dr. G until I just hit "submit" Sorry!

Debbie
Forgiveness is letting go of the hope that the past could have been any different --Unknown

designmom651 replied to ddnos's response:
Debbie-
That is fine, all info is good. It did say on the paperwork he just had to call for the exception. But he made me feel like he just didnt have the time. He has his own practice and than where I go has 5 therapist and he comes once a week and drugs all those patients. So he is flooded with patients. Plus this "vitiam" drug he "thinks" will be a great canditate for I swear he is getting paid on that one. Because he was willing to fill out the form for that and than this company will call me, and they will get my insurance info, wtf? He said that if my vitiams were level that it could help with my moods (because I had the gastric bypass 3 years ago). IDK. I have only been seeing him since January and it took 3 months to get into him. But I am starting to question his care for me. He did not see me during my mania only on the down side in when I went into the deep depression. I think if he would of saw me when I thought I was Jesus and going to be the mayor of St.Paul, that I was a medium talking to the dead and seeing the dead in the clouds for months, that he would think twice of taking me off any anti-psyctics. For the love of god I really do not want to go full blown manic again just to show this doc how serious my psychotic features are. I felt rushed out and uncared for at this appointment. Doesnt help that I am pmsing either. But if it walks like a duck, acts like a duck than it is a duck. Starting to think he is a quack. Mind you he had to up the Geodon 2 times in 2 months to slow down my hypo mania. Now I am not going to be on any anti-psycotic? Really?

ddnos replied to designmom651's response:
Hmmmmmmmmmm, shall I bite my tongue or rant? lol

I will share my opinion about one thing that you shared, and this re if he has time to request an exception.

Ummmmmmmmm, it's his job to provide you with the best care possible and if he doesn't have time because he has too many patients, then he needs to lower his case load! He is responsible for every one of his clients, and if he's saying he doens't have time or something is too much of a hassle, yet he is willing to go through what appears to be more of a hassle with his vitamin thing, then.....well....Debbie bites her tongue! lol Just seems strange to me and Dr. G. will address this, but I've never heard of vitamins being sufficient for treating bipolar or psychosis,etc. Maybe they can be added to supplement, but sounds fishy to me. Curious what Dr. G. will say.

You can request that you would rather stay with Geodon if that's what you want.......just sayen

Debbie

reneegigliotti replied to ddnos's response:
Debbie, I had gastric bypass surgery 4 years ago and have to take a complicated mixture of vitamins because of malnutrition issues. HOWEVER, those vitamins are prescribed by my gastric bypass surgeon and the amounts I take are determined by blood tests. A typical gastric bypass vitamin panel analysis can involve 10 tubes of blood. My psychiatrist would be the first one to tell you he's not an expert on the malabsorption problems post gastric bypass surgery and he would never guess about which vitamins to prescribe for such a complex medical condition. He would say that is my surgeon's job. It is true that for those of us who have had GBS, severe vitamin deficiencies DO HAVE profound effects on all kinds of metabolic processes. As an example, my vitamin D level is so low that I need to take 100,000 units orally weekly. Extremely low vitamin D can cause depressive symptoms. There are severe side effects to vitamin deficiencies. THAT IS NOT THE PSYCHIATRIST'S AREA OF EXPERTISE THOUGH. So, I have no idea what this psychiatrist is doing..

designmom651 replied to reneegigliotti's response:
Thank You!
This guy is a quack. Why would I go off a med mid work week that pulled me out of my depression and lightened my hypo-maania? I mean seriously! Do you need to see me full blown manic all of the sudden to treat me with the correct meds? Livid. I get my vitiam levels checked every year and they are perfect post op, this is not a issue with me. This quack is all about his pocket not his patients. Time to Google this Quack!

reneegigliotti replied to designmom651's response:
Go for it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ddnos replied to reneegigliotti's response:
Tell us what you think, Renee! lol

Joseph F Goldberg, MD responded:
Dear designmom651,
Lamictal and Geodon are vastly different medicines...Lamictal has little if any antimanic value (mainly prevention of depression) while Geodon is the opposite (no proven antidepressant value, but effective for mania or psychosis). Lithium or Depakote remain the gold standard antimanic mood stabilizers. Geodon or a similar antipsychotic would make sense if there have been recent delusions or hallucinations, otherwise, not so clear-cut. I know of no vitamins that are relevant to treating bipolar disorder.
Dr. G.

ddnos replied to reneegigliotti's response:
Renee, I hear you on that and just hate when a doctor of any kind tries to delve into an area of expertise that they simply don't have the training and/or understanding for! Are they too proud to admit they don't know something and would rather risk messing things up instead? *rolls eyes* lol

I have NO TOLLERANCE for professionals acting outside their areas of expertise. People can get HURT when these arrogant jerks play god.

designmom651 replied to Joseph F Goldberg, MD's response:
Dr. G,
My manic episode went on from June 6th when I thought I witnessed Jesus until the end of September when I landed in the hospital. Than the risky behaviors until November. Started working again and managed to stay working through the miserable depression until January. Have had many days of Hypo-mania since and he had upped the Geodon to level that out. So to tell me to stop cold turkey because he does not want to make the call to the "insurance" or try another antipsycotic blows my mind. I can not, and do not want to risk my health and become full blown manic again. Not only was I left embarrassed by my long mania and crazy behaviors I went almost 16k in debt. I am just getting my life back together and becoming a great sales associate in furniture sales and most importantly I have been able to mother correctly again. To feel like our life is at the hands of these drug docs, and see this lack of concern blows my mind. Time for a new doc?
Niki

designmom651 replied to reneegigliotti's response:
Renee-
I totally agree and I am terrified of becoming manic again! Our lives are in the hands of these drug docs and to feel pushed away and uncared for is frustarting and scary.
Niki

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

Differentiating bipolar disorder from borderline personality disorderExpert
Borderline personality disorder is a condition in which people can very easily become angry and upset in response to stresses -- especially ... More
Was this Helpful?
108 of 125 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.