Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
Power of the Mind
ddnos posted:
The power of the mind goes far deeper than we will ever be able to fully comprehend; for if we knew, and if we implemented that truth into our daily lives, we would spare ourselves so much unnecessary grief. Tears that we shed in vein because we believe faulty messages that we tell ourselves; anger that festers within over something that we convince ourselves is reality, when in reality, it couldn't be further from the truth; feelings that are hurt because we read into someone's words or look on their face rather than asking what they meant, is energy wasted.

How much more stability would we all experience if we could teach our minds to speak, believe, and focus on what is true - what are facts, rather than on what we assume or fictional messages that we savor in our minds? We always respond emotionally to what our minds tell us, so if my mind is telling me something hurtful that is not true, then my emotions will respond appropriate to those thoughts, i.e. I will cry, be hurt, etc. But that pain and those tears are based on nothing but falsehood - but my feelings don't know the difference between fact and fiction. THAT'S why it's so important what messages we are listening to. We tell ourselves the truth, we respond accordingly - we tell ourselves what is false, we also respond accordingly.

So why not regularly check our thoughts to make sure that how we are reacting emotionally is based on actual truth and reality?

I'm not meaning to be "preachy" here, but just felt like typing this out because it's a truth that my former therapist taught me years ago that has helped me tremendously. Not that I have perfected it, but I have gotten a lot better at it over the years! The mind is a powerful thing, and this message has taught me that I don't have to be a slave to my emotions.

Debbie
Forgiveness is letting go of the hope that the past could have been any different --Unknown

blessed8991 responded:
I think you are totally right...like my what if thinking...my mind doesn't know it is fake some that I have just thought up...if we only use 10% of our brian inagime what we could do if we eused it all. I like this post...interseting sybject...I am typing in the dark so please over look mistakes!!!!! I hope this will get some other thoughts...truth or fition...the body can't determine!!!!!

mercygive replied to blessed8991's response:
Some truth, some fiction is what dreams are made of. Best to test our perceptions to think as clearly as possible even if that doesn't use much of the brain, it's the wisest use of it.
A little yoga goes a long way

mercygive responded:
A good way to test our perceptions is to be honest in our soul searching and with others, and even if others aren't honest with us we can still have integrity. S

o, why do you think you're preachy? Is that just a perception you have of yourself?
A little yoga goes a long way

ddnos replied to blessed8991's response:
Thank you, blessed -actually, it's your emotions that don't know if what your mind is saying is fact or fiction, so re your "what ifs" - you react with anxiety (and whatever) because your emotions/feelings don't know that what your mind is saying is true or not. So you react emotionally as IF it were true because they don't know.....BUT, if you look at what you are thinking and then figure out if what you are saying is fact or not and if it's not, change your thinking - your feelings will react accordingly.

An example of something that I used to do a lot is when I was expecting someone to come over to pick me up to go somewhere and they were what I considered significantly late, I would always start to think the worse - by the time they arrived really late, I had them dead and buried (in my mind) and thus, I was sobbing! Emotionally, i was reacting appropriately because if that was true, that is how I would have reacted. But, fact was, it was NOT true, and had I not let my mind go there, I would not have reacted hysterically because I would have been giving my emotions a different message, i.e. a TRUE message. That's why getting control of ones mind and thoughts allows us to not have to be a slave to our emotions because we so often respond emotionally about things that aren't even true. Once I got what my therapist was telling me firm in my head, it changed me forever! I will always have this tool to keep me in check and to keep me from wasting energy reacting to things that are not even true.

Debbie
Forgiveness is letting go of the hope that the past could have been any different --Unknown

ddnos replied to mercygive's response:
Mercy, nope, that's not a perception I have of myself, but sometimes some people do perceive "teaching type" stuff as being preachy, even though I know I'm not being that way. So I tend to occasionally want to clarify. I'm not worried about what I say, but I also want to be as sensitive as possible knowing that it's SO easy to misunderstand 1 dimensional communication, i.e. just the written word.

Debbie

bpcookie responded:
Debbie Doodles Dahling. g/f, I totally do this all the time. I will get hurt or angry about what someone says or how they say it. Ya know, a lot of this comes from my childhood. I was always told that I was stupid and ugly, so when anyone jokes about stuff, I go right back to my childhood and think the worst. Or if someone looks at me in what I would consider to be an odd way, then I feel like I dont look good. If I could just tell myself "SO WHAT!!" or "OH WELL" or "JUST THINK GOOD THOUGHTS" and go on with my life, then I would be just fine. Im glad that you reminded us that things arent always as they seem. muahs
Please join my community called GRUMPY GROUPIES ( http://exchanges.webmd.com/grumpy-groupies ) Fun and serious topics, nothing is taboo. So get on over there. Weirdo's are welcomed.

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

NSAIDS and lithiumExpert
Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (eg, Motrin/ibuprofen, Advil, Naprosyn) raise lithium levels by about 20%. We often therefore say ... More
Was this Helpful?
68 of 91 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.