Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
(triggering) Rapid cycling bipolar 1 disorder and trauma treatment
reneegigliotti posted:
After several frustrating years of trying to manage an on-set of rapidly cycling bipolar 1 disorder with psychotic features and not really making much progress (my treatment team thinks I'm averaging one full cycle, depression and full mania, every 6 to 8 weeks), we have been carefully examining what might be exacerbating my symptoms. We know that the on-set of the rapid cycling coincides with the onset of my type two diabetes diagnosis. So my psychiatrist is working on this theory in conjunction with my endocrinologist. They want to see if controlling my now out-of-control glucose levels also impacts my bipolar episodes. My psychiatrist and endocrinologist are cautiously optimistic. We are also looking at my extensive history of trauma. My psychologist has noticed a great increase in my PTSD reactions over the past two years as well. This is especially true during depressive episodes. We haven't been able to figure out this chicken-egg dilemna. Is the uptick in PTSD symptoms causing increasingly severe depressive episodes or am I just more sensitive to PTSD symptoms when severely depressed. So, either way, we are going to hit the trauma symptoms head on. My psychologist has some very new psychotherapeutic tools she wants to use to treat my trauma reaction and my psychiatrist is going to consider medication intervention for the increased PTSD symptoms. He's such a minimalist when it comes to medication that the mere fact that he is even considering adding medication is huge. He never adds meds lightly. Maybe, just maybe, by taming the trauma beast we can tame the bipolar beast.

I'm trying to be hopeful. However, I'm pretty worn down. Good thing I trust the two of them. In the mean itme, I go to work every day, care for my furries and try to have a life. It's been hard.

slik_kitty responded:
hugs. sounds like they have a good plan of action. i'll be interested to hear if they find a connection between diabetes and bipolar.

reneegigliotti replied to slik_kitty's response:
Hi Kitty,

I did a scientific literature search on PubMed and was able to find quite a number of abstracts that link diabetes and bipolar disorder and well as bipolar disorder, childhood trauma, and PTSD. One was a very interesting study concerning bipolar 1 disorder patients who have psychotic features to their manic episodes and who have documented histories of severe child abuse. I printed the abstracts up for my psychiatrist. He'll be interested.

Renee

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

Screen out people who can't seem to "get it"....
There are some people who can't or won't understand at all. My wife is bipolar, and some people are more understanding than others. We ... More
Was this Helpful?
34 of 40 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.