Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
Anxiety or depression
cindigal posted:
I have mostly anxiety than depression even though I have some days are not the best but I contribute it to anxiety. However I did have history of both, with many years on different meds and life circumstances. Right now I am taking my synthroid pills, which I had it since childhood (i get tested a few times a year and the labs are fine) and I take Ativan (Lorezepam is generic name) for many years and I think that after some years taking the same thing, the effects don't work anymore, as least what I think. I don't have sleeping pills at this time because the effects wore down and I didnt like side effects; which most of us know that most depression meds/or tranquilizers has side of effect of weight gain. I just take the Ativan at night just for the purpose of getting a peaceful sleep (my doc told me it's good for that).

Since I had it so long, I am afraid that it's not keeping me sleep all night and I don't want to ask the doc for any kind of sleeping pill. I thought i could get any over-the pill for the sleep, but don't know what's the best one. Another thing, my son drives to the doc because I don't drive and he get my meds that I. I don't want him to know I am taking another kind of pill and cause him to worry. I thought i could try the Melatonin and it doesn't work on me. Does anyone take any over-the-counter pills for sleep..??

cindigal

bipoet001 responded:
Perhaps instead of turning to meds, you might do better working with a psychologist to help work out practical ways to cope with your stress.

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

Screen out people who can't seem to "get it"....
There are some people who can't or won't understand at all. My wife is bipolar, and some people are more understanding than others. We ... More
Was this Helpful?
34 of 40 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.