Skip to content

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
Bipolar and ADHD
An_256356 posted:
I need some advice regarding my psychiatrist and psychologist as I have been diagnosed by the psychologist as adhd which posses a problem because I truly believe I have adhd. The problem is my doctor is only treating me for bi-polar and will not treat me for adhd. I
I have access to some Adderal and this has helped me quite a bit but can not access to it all the time. What should I do, do you think I should try another doctor?
I am fifty eight years old and have two kids so I am not just trying to get the medication but it has proven to help me.
Please give some guidance

ddnos responded:
Hi there, just curious, do you/have you talked with your psychiatrist about the diagnosis that your psychologist has given you? It seems to me that there should be communication between the two of them so they are on the same page. To make things smoother and easier for everyone involved, your Psychiatrist should be the one doing the diagnosing and prescribing of medications and your Psychologist is the one you get therapy from.

Also, talk with your psychiatrist about how you feel that he is only treating you for bipolar, and not adhd - though treating you for one doesn't necessarily mean he's negating the other. I would ahs him/her to explain to you the method of treatment he/she is using and explain your concerns.

But like I said at first - both your psychiatrist and psychologist should be on the same page so as not to have contradicting treatment.

So have a talk with them.

Debbie
Forgiveness is letting go of the hope that the past could have been any different --Unknown

robbroesler replied to ddnos's response:
That is the problem they are not on the same page which is very frustrating for me. I have talked to my psych doctor about this several times to no avail. The stimulant medication I take now and then does not make me jittery or nervous as it seems to calm me down and able to think. So when I tell her that it does no good.

ddnos replied to robbroesler's response:
Do you know if both docs have talked with each other (with your permission) about your "case"?
Forgiveness is letting go of the hope that the past could have been any different --Unknown

Yes they have and yet it makes no difference

hmmmmmm sounds like a sticky situation - do you feel you are on the right meds for bipolar, but its the adderal that your doc won't prescribe you, which helps you re your adhd? you notice a big difference when you're not taking adderal?

slik_kitty responded:
I say find another doctor. especially since he is unwilling to listen to you.

ddnos replied to slik_kitty's response:
Yeah, what Kitty said! Don't know why I didnt just say that as that is certainly what i would do!

ibex7 replied to ddnos's response:
. . . . ditto. . . .
Sometimes you don't mean to say what you mean to say you mean.

robbroesler replied to slik_kitty's response:
I really like my doc but she just will not budge on this issue.
My bi-polar is so bad that I am disabled and have been for the past 8 years so shes a big help in that regard I just do not want to shake the waters to much. I made an appointment to see my general practitioner hoping that they may be able to help. But I am weighting my options.
Thanks

what reason does she give you for not prescribing the addaral? is it because its addictive?

She says that it could make my manic side go out of control. But she may not know it but I have had access to addaral at times and for me it makes quite a big deal as I can actually think better and am more calm, but we will see.

So you have never told her that you have actually been on addaral before? When you were on it, were you on long term or just short time? Maybe it helps in short term but would indeed do what your doc says if taken long term. Either way, I would talk to your doc and let her know you've taken it before and for how long and how much. Without communicating with her honestly, she can't be as effective in helping you.

Debbie

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

Kee pyour head up
Don't let this illness bring you down. Always keep you head to the sky because someone is watching you and I. Sometimes this illness can ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.