Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
Includes Expert Content
bipoar depression
kimosey posted:
Hello all...I am bipolar I with psychotic features and am having a terrible time with my serious depression. I have just started taking Latuda but so far no effect noticed. I've been on it for about five weeks. Has anyone else tried it and what were your results? Help!

mercygive responded:
I have taken Latuda as long as you have and I have been mildly depressed for most of the month with a few days of moderate depression and I take Lamotrigine. I don't think my depression is situational so I am inclined to say Latuda doesn't do diddly-squat for depression.
A little yoga goes a long way

designmom651 responded:
I have the same diagnose as you. From what I am told and read, researched... That the depression is our brain going into healing mode after being manic/hypomanic. I experienced this depression for a month in December after being highly manic for 3 months and than hypomanic for 2 months. The depression was the worst part of all of it. But I survived and you can too. I did not get better until I got on Geodon and Klonipin. Since than there have been even more meds added as we work on getting the correct cocktail. Now I am also on Trazodone and Lamitral.

kimosey replied to designmom651's response:
I am on the Latuda, Lamictal, Klonopin, Geodon, and another antidepressant and I'm still depressed! I just can't seem to find an antidepressant that really works. I've tried everything over the last 16 years but nothing has really helped for the daily "one hour at a time" depression. I just came out of a depressive episode that was really bad...almost hospitalized...and I'm hoping that it's the Latuda that's helping. Any ideas as to another antidepressant that might work along with my other meds? Thanks so much...

doxielover10 replied to kimosey's response:
I'm a rapid cycling Bipolar 1, I tried EVERYTHING with no success. It took a few years, when I was prescribed Seroquel, which did work. Like you, I tried all the anti-depressants as well, with no success. Finally, I was put on Cymbalta and it was great !!

Been there, GOOD LUCK !!

ALLISON

kimosey replied to doxielover10's response:
Thanks, Allison.
I'm actually on 90 mgs of Cymbalta as well as the Latuda. I know...I'm on a lot of medication! The Cymbalta was great for the first couple of months. I felt really great for the first time in years. It gave me energy and cured my depression like no other drug has. But then I crashed while on it, that's why the doctor added the Latuda. So, I'm waiting for my new increased dose of Latuda to kick in. I hope it does. I'm glad the Cymbalta works for you. That's great! It's so hard to find the right meds...it can be so discouraging. But, I'm still trying! Have to keep moving forward, right? Do you know how I can get in touch with Dr. G? I don't see a link to ask him a question. Thanks so much for your response, I really appreciate it!
kim

Kim,

DO NOT make the mistake I made !!! I love my Doctor and I was in the Medical Field so I had knowledge most people don't have.

I am an ATROCIOUS Bipolar, subsequently I had major manic episodes, I could not sleep for days, no matter what meds I took.Then I would crash and burn into horrific depressions. After taking every medication on the market, I was faced with Lithium or ECT. I chose Lithium, within 4 months it killed my Thyroid. Within eight months I arrived at the E/R DOA in total renal failure, with a Creatinin level of 9.0.I was completely housebound for more than 2 1/2 years. At certain points I've been on 20 meds a day. I was so catatonic, I did not feel the side effects, my speech was so slurred, people thought I was drunk. TAKE CONTROL, I MEAN IT !! Work with your Doctor, research, research all your meds. I was shocked at all the side effects I missed because I could not think or focus. We do not need all those meds. We think an anti-depressant is going to work in 5 weeks, it takes a lot longer. I have been there, I know how incredibly hard it is. Every time I felt weird, I took another pill. Finally, I lost ALL feeling in my hands, I could not hold a pen or a spoon or anything else. I was shaking so badly, you could see it across the room. I FINALLY told my Doctor, I was going to reduce meds and get rid of meds that were basically doing the same thing. I feel like someone TURNED ON THE LIGHTS !!! I have not felt this good in 25 years. I was a child Bipolar, which no one believed was possible.
GOOD LUCK !!
ALLISON

Dr. G is right here with us. Write to him here and he will reply.

I LOVE HIM, HE'S WONDERFUL !! HE ALWAYS HELPS !!!

ALLISON

kimosey replied to doxielover10's response:
Hi Dr. G....

I am bipolar 1 with psychotic features and having a really hard time controlling my depression. I have been on every antidepressant in the world it would seem. Currently, I am on 90mg of Cymbalta and 60mg. of Latuda. I started the Latuda about six weeks ago. When will it start working? I plan on going off the Cymbalta if the Latuda works but so far nothing. can you tell me what to expect and when? thanks so much!

Joseph F Goldberg, MD replied to kimosey's response:
Dear kimosey, 6 weeks of Latuda at 60 mg should be enough time to tell if it's going to help, and if no glimmer of improvement then it may be worth discussing alternatives with your doctor. Ditto re the cymbalta. Antidepressants in general have never been shown to help bipolar depression. Consider with your doctor one of the two remaining FDA-approved treatments for bipolar depression, ie, olanzapine-fluoxetine combination (which also has data in treatment resistant depression) or Seroquel. There are a handful of other agents that have proven efficacy in bipolar depression. I discuss these in a video under "Resources" on this website. Dr G

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

Differentiating bipolar disorder from borderline personality disorderExpert
Borderline personality disorder is a condition in which people can very easily become angry and upset in response to stresses -- especially ... More
Was this Helpful?
109 of 126 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.