Skip to content

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
Includes Expert Content
Ativan and Anxiety (Dr.G)
asurvivor777 posted:
Hi,

For several weeks, my pdoc has been stepping down my Zyprexa from 15 to 10 to 5mg. Two good things emerged from this: I'm not depressed/mood is stable and not paranoid (Ie:about people). However, I've had bad anxiety and some panic attacks that I'm trying to control with Ativan (now I'm up to 6mg from 4mg). I'm concerned. What should I tell my doctor so that he will know exactly what's going on?

also take Zoloft 150mg
lithium 1200 mg

Joseph F Goldberg, MD responded:
Dear asurvivor777,
Presumably it was your doctor who advised you to take the Ativan and gave you parameters (ie, maximum dose per day, when to take it, how much to take at a time). 6 mg of Ativan is getting up to a sizable dose and I would think that if as the Zyprexa goes down you notice the anxiety going up, it's worth discussing with your doctor if the plan to reduce down the Zyprexa is still the wisest move and, if so, whether another, non-habit-forming medicine besides Ativan is worth considering to replace the Zyprexa.
Dr. G.

asurvivor777 replied to Joseph F Goldberg, MD's response:
Thanks Dr. G glad you're here to give advice.

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

Kee pyour head up
Don't let this illness bring you down. Always keep you head to the sky because someone is watching you and I. Sometimes this illness can ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.