Skip to content

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
Newly Diagnosed
biancalthompson posted:
I am newly diagnosed with type 2 Bipolar disorder. I am anxious about how this condition and the medications used to treat it are going t o affect my life. I am currently admitted to a day treatment promgram

slik_kitty responded:
welcome to the board. if you have questions, feel free to ask them. we're just a group of people looking for support and giving support. it's a good place to be.

biancalthompson replied to slik_kitty's response:
Thank you,

I feel so overwhelmed right now. A lot of information is being thrown my way and I have started new medications to treat my illness. I don't have any friends I can talk to about this. My family is very supportive but they don't understand the illness. I am definitely in need of somewhere to talk about my illness outside of my day treatment program.

reneegigliotti replied to biancalthompson's response:
Welcome!

Tell us a bit about you. Always remember we are way more than just our diagnosis. I've been diagnosed with bipolar 1 disorder since I was 16. It becomes just a fact of life after a while. It's really good to ask lots of questions. The more you know the more comfortable you will be with your treatment plan and yourself.

Renee

slik_kitty replied to biancalthompson's response:
you will adjust to it. it will become just another part of your life. you deal with it as best you can and continue living.

biancalthompson replied to reneegigliotti's response:
I am 28 years old. My parents have been divorced since I was 6 years old. My mom holds alot of bitterness towards my dad. I have three brothers. Dirk 36, Mark 29, and Erik 27. I work in home health. I love to write poetry, journal, hike, horseback ride, swim and to hang out with good people. I also volunteer with the American Red Cross of western and central Oklahoma. I love animals though I don't known one myself at the time. My dad served in the army, my little brother is currently active duty in Hawaii preparing to head to Alaska, My maternal grandfather served during World War I.

I got diagnosed with ADHD approx. 4 years ago. I have asthma, GERD, Degenerative Disk Disease of my lumbar and cervical spine with chronic nerve pain. and suffer from severe headaches that haven't been definitively diagnosed yet.

I enjoy art, world history, the sciences and my college football and NBA basketball. I rut for OU and OKC THUNDER.

I have been trying to research the disorder on the internet as well as get information about the disorder from my doctor, social worker and my nurse. I feel better if I am informed however that doesn't totally negate my fears, and some of it has to with the stigma that mental illness brings due to the lack of open communication about it. My family though supportive is a bit skeptical about the diagnosis. They simply don't understand that the "you deal with what life throws your way and move on" mentally isn't as easy for me as it is for them, I have to have some time to adjust to this.

reneegigliotti replied to biancalthompson's response:
Hi Bianca,

This site has turned out to be such a blessing for me. I'm not one who shares much typically. I'm usually pretty private, but this site has made me feel really comfortable. It's ok to ask questions here, bring up topics for discussion, share your experiences, even disagree without being disagreeable. Dr. G checks out people's posts for when they have medication questions. I have on a number of occassions shared his opinions with my psychiatrist. There are a lot of human resources on this site for you. You can post when you're manic, depressed, or just getting through the day. You can share truimphs and struggles. People listen. It's nice. I hope you have the same experience I have had.

Renee

designmom651 responded:
Welcome!
This is a great place to vent, question and seek help from people that know your pain. I also was misdiagnosed for my whole life until I had a full summer of mania this last summer. Than I was diagnosed at the end of summer. When I got back to work I found this a great place to go when I needed support. We all get the ups and downs of BP. It is a little scary when you first realize that this is a illness that you have to battle everyday and watch your moods and how each medication effects you. But I have found so much relief with the medication. It does feel odd at first to feel so "normal" but I found that I enjoy the peace that it has helped bring into my life. Not saying everyday is perfect, I still have BP1 so it is a bit of a up and down. But it brings peace with medication. Good Luck!
Welcome,
and screw the stigma!
Niki

biancalthompson replied to designmom651's response:
Thank you all for the warm welcome.

I look forward to learning about my illness and sharing the experience with people who understand and have done through this.

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

NSAIDS and lithiumExpert
Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (eg, Motrin/ibuprofen, Advil, Naprosyn) raise lithium levels by about 20%. We often therefore say ... More
Was this Helpful?
69 of 92 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.