Skip to content


Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
Young adults with both cognitive delays and mental health issues
bela24 posted:
I am looking to talk to parents who have adult children who have both a cognitive delay and a mental health diagnosis. My niece is in this situation. She will be 25. She is under the guardianship of her mother who is currently overwhelmed and worn out making calls and trying to get answers from professionals who are overworked too. Mental health professionals are leaning toward a diagnosis of bipolar II. My niece is very depressed, anxious, and acting out.
We are looking for possible resources, advice, etc.
ddnos responded:
Hello bela24 - your nieces mother is very lucky to have you and your support!

I am not a parent, but sometimes I can be helpful in finding resources, so I am wondering what kind of resources do you have in mind, i.e. what kind of help are you and your nieces mother looking or hoping for?

I'm sure there will be others come around who will be able to offer you more help and/or advice. It's been a bit slow around here of late, but hang in there.

Best to you
Forgiveness is letting go of the hope that the past could have been any different --Unknown
momuv4girls responded:
A really great source of support is NAMI, (here is their link to find support groups near you).

If you take some time and go thru your local site, you will find groups for parents, groups for your niece and many educational classes they offer all for free.

Often times local churches offer support groups too - I have found in our town they are popping up more and more, so look into that too.

Hope this helps some!
Take care,
designmom651 responded:
Hi Bela24,
Hopefully your niece will get help soon. There is always the option of checking her into the hospital if you think she is a harm to herself or others. Then hopefully she can at least get some medical care and medications to ease her suffering.

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

Differentiating bipolar disorder from borderline personality disorderExpert
Borderline personality disorder is a condition in which people can very easily become angry and upset in response to stresses -- especially ... More
Was this Helpful?
114 of 131 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.