Skip to content

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
Any one else have BP where they get agrivated - no highs?
Anon_125900 posted:
My husband has BP where he gets agrivated thinks everyone hates him ect. He doesn't have the highs like some do.
Does any one else suffer from this if so what helps get you out of the frustration and sadness?

Thanks for any input.

ddnos responded:
Is he seeing a psychiatrist? Taking meds? In therapy? Sounds to me that maybe 1) he's either not on meds or needs them adjusted or changed and 2) that what meds can't do, therapy can help with behaviors, faulty thinking, emotional issues, etc.
Forgiveness is letting go of the hope that the past could have been any different --Unknown

sweetypie295 replied to ddnos's response:
He is seeing a therapist that he says doesnt like him but he thinks everyone hates him.
He has taken meds in the past the ones that did help had side effects he didnt like thus no longer taking,

ddnos replied to sweetypie295's response:
well there's a big part of your answer, i.e. medication....and as far as seeing a therapist - he (and ANYONE) seeing a therapist MUST like and connect with their therapist or it simply will not work. So if he's interested in working on getting himself stronger and stable, then 1) he needs to start seeing a psychiatrist who can put him on the right meds (with your husbands participation) and 2) find a new therapist. The change won't happen overnight, but it has to start there! I promise!

The key to it all is does HE want help? If he doesn't, there's nothing anyone can do to help him - it has to start with him. (which I'm sure you know)

Hang in there and feel free to post as much as you like

Debbie
Forgiveness is letting go of the hope that the past could have been any different --Unknown

He does want help. He just doesnt think any one likes him including me. I tell him I do like you and so do others but its a cycle that he thinks is true.
It is very hard.

I am very interested to hear if anyone else on this board suffers from the same time of BP.

Thanks for the info ddnos.

ddnos replied to sweetypie295's response:
Since he wants help but his thoughts that people don't like him is hindering him from getting help, maybe you could encourage him to not worry about if anyone likes him or not, but to consider himself and his health more important than what anybody thinks. Ask him if it's worth it to not get help based on anyone's opinion of him regardless if it's true or not. I understand that his belief that no one likes him is in his head and not based on truth, so you're not going to get anywhere from that point of view. That's something that he needs professional help with to work through. So in the meantime, if you could get him to focus on the logic part of what he's doing, there is better chance that he will at least go to get help. NOT that he will think or believe any different about everyone, but chances are, he's not thinking about the power he is giving everyone else, i.e. not seeking help because no one likes him. Ask him, "if you were starving and someone came by to give you food so you could live, would you turn down the food because the giver doesn't like you? What does taking care of yourself and survival have to do with whether or not someone likes you?" Get him to focus on THAT - not on his belief. You will get nowhere focusing on that because his belief is deep.

Just some thoughts.

Also, It doesn't matter if anyone else experiences bipolar the way he does - the fact of the matter is, he's not medicated and he doesn't like his therapist, so it won't be effective. It doesn't even matter if he was misdiagnosed as bipolar or not (not saying he was or wasn't - just saying) because no matter what, he needs help. He himself acknowledges that, right? So regardless of his diag, he still needs help, and his belief about how other people feel about him will always keep him from getting help until he starts to believe that he's more important than what anybody believes/feels about him. He will be miserable the rest of his life if he continues to base his behavior on how he thinks other people feel about him.

It's amazing the power our minds have to control our behaviors for the good or bad. I'm not saying it's "easy" I'm saying that it works.

Hang in there and best wishes
Debbie

You have some very good ideas I will ponder them and see what I can do to have them help him. Thoughts can make and brake a person if we let them.

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

Kee pyour head up
Don't let this illness bring you down. Always keep you head to the sky because someone is watching you and I. Sometimes this illness can ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.