Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
(triggering) Very sad evening
reneegigliotti posted:
My best friend's 13 year old Rottweiler had cancer and she decided it was time to let him go. Since she's blind, I brought her to the vet. I sat in the back seat of my car with her puppy as she went into the office to check in., As I stroked him and looked into his eyes, I felt kinship. He looked at me with pleading eyes that begged me for rest. I wept. He gently licked my hand. It was more tenderness than I've ever experienced from an animal, even my own. I can remember times in my life when I felt that depth of tiredness. I know what it feels like to just want to let go, to know I've had enough. My friend cried on and off during the ride home. I felt like I had no words of comfort for her that would matter. I gave her space and just drove. Her animals are everything to her. They are her children. This was her only dog, a rescue, who bonded with her so tightly it was special to watch. I'm so sad tonight. The world lost a bit of sparkle tonight. So did my friend.

Thanks for listening,

Renee

ddnos responded:
Awwwwwwwww I'm sorry for your friends loss, and I'm sure yours as well! It sounds like you are a very good friend to her and she's lucky to have you!

Sounds like a beautiful moment you had with your friends dog - sometimes I wonder why we humans can't be as humane as animals can be.

This a lil poem - "her" is your friends dog

Gaze into the blackened night
You'll see her tender eyes so bright
A star will twinkle in her name
And keep her loving heart aflame
Her eyes will alright

Hugs
Debbie
Forgiveness is letting go of the hope that the past could have been any different --Unknown

reneegigliotti replied to ddnos's response:
Thanks Debbie

slik_kitty responded:
it's so very sad when we have to let our animals go. hugs to you and your friend.

reneegigliotti replied to slik_kitty's response:
Thanks Kitty. I talked to my friend this morning. She's taking the day off from work. I'm being a Jewish mother (I'm good at that). I think she'll eventually get another dog. It will just take time. I'm glad my psychologist comes back tomorrow and I see my psychiatrist tomorrow. I need to share some of this with them. Maybe it won't hurt so much.

ibex7 replied to reneegigliotti's response:
Dear reenie,

Your topic reminds us all that because of our love for animals, we could not have simply evolved from them. It was an act of divine creation that the species would recognize the similarities of their Maker, and through them, we could know proof of the character of God.

Kudos
Sometimes you don't mean to say what you mean to say you mean.

reneegigliotti replied to ibex7's response:
Thank you

bpcookie responded:
aaaawwww Rene, Im so very sorry for you and your friends loss. I know how it feels to lose a dog. Mine was 20 yrs old when we had to put her to sleep. We now have her ashes in a beautiful urn
sitting on our book shelf.

Losing a pet is just like losing a human. The pain is the same. At least in my case.

Here is a link to a wonderful place where you and your friend can get support, information about losing a pet, candle ceremony, tribute to your friends pet and much more.

http://www.petloss.com/
Please join my community called GRUMPY GROUPIES ( http://exchanges.webmd.com/grumpy-groupies ) Fun and serious topics, nothing is taboo. So get on over there. Weirdo's are welcomed.

backwoodsdiva replied to reneegigliotti's response:
What a nice thing for you to do for her and the animal. I love furbabies( as I call them). I believe they are to be treated as children. They depend on us and we owe respect. You did good.

I hope your friend will be o.k.. That she will hold precious memories that make her smile. An d she'll never forget the nice things you did for her.

reneegigliotti replied to backwoodsdiva's response:
Thanks Backwoods.

I think she'll rescue another dog. A rottweiler, of course. She's not ready. It's too soon. She lost her female 2 months ago, now her male. Too hard.

Renee

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

Differentiating bipolar disorder from borderline personality disorderExpert
Borderline personality disorder is a condition in which people can very easily become angry and upset in response to stresses -- especially ... More
Was this Helpful?
109 of 126 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.