Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
Mail Order Pharmacy Meds Arrived - Finally!
mercygive posted:
What a load off! Today, I finally got meds from the mail order pharmacy via 1-day shipping on their dime after a 32-day waiting period. They told me it was a fluke and would not happen again. I have called them everyday during the last 2 weeks, asked to speak with managers to no avail and the call center people are sick of me. Yesterday, they told me that my meds (Lamotrigine and Latuda) were not in stock and they would ship ASAP when they arrived. Hummm. No one mentioned this during the last two weeks —why not? My order fell through the cracks and if I had not been a royal pain in the derriere, I believe I still would not have my meds.

In two days, I would have completely weaned myself off of Lamotrigine and Latuda, and talked myself out of taking meds altogether because I have been stressed out, fed up and extremely angry and convinced this would continue to happen each and every time I needed meds. Now, I have to start all over to wean up on the meds and find my way out of discouragement and anxiety.
A little yoga goes a long way

ddnos responded:
Cool! Glad you got your meds!

You said that in 2 days you would been completely weaned off your meds - I'm curious, couldn't you have got a local pick up prescription to hold you over until the mail order ones came? Seems strange that your doc wouldn't do that as opposed to weaning off them, you know? Regardless, glad you have them now!

Debbie
Forgiveness is letting go of the hope that the past could have been any different --Unknown

mercygive replied to ddnos's response:
Latuda (no generic available) is about $900 retail per 30 pills (80 mg) and Lamotrigine is about $525 retail per 30 pill (200 mg) which would cost me about $47.00 per day. There were no more free samples of Latuda available through my doctor. I could not submit a request for a 30-day supply through insurance because there was already a prescription order pending, so I would have had to pay retail cost out-of-pocket and I cannot afford that. That's why it was a stressful and discouraging situation for me.

I'm glad I have them now, but I may rethink a more affordable medication combo before my meds run out next time and I may have to find another doctor to do it — too long to explain. Thank you for your reply.

ddnos replied to mercygive's response:
No, I remember the situation and I've been in that situation before (well, similar) and (I know, too little too late) but what they did for me was let me get the 1 month at a local pharmacy and then just 2 months from the mail order; that way I wasn't going over the 3 month amount. But, as they said, it was a fluke situation for you this time, so shouldn't happen again, BUT if it does, ask if they could do the above so that paying out of pocket wouldn't be an issue.

Glad you have your meds now!

Debbie
Forgiveness is letting go of the hope that the past could have been any different --Unknown

reneegigliotti responded:
Mail order pharmacies scare me. For the very reasons you've described. I have the option of either doing monthly at my local pharmacy or mail order. If I trusted the mail order system, I'd be ok with that. However, I'd rather pay the extra co-pay and know for sure every month I could get my medication refilled. I know other people's health insurances don't give them that option. I'm lucky.

I hope your near disaster experience is perminantly resolved!

ddnos replied to reneegigliotti's response:
I guess I've been fortunate with my mail order experiences in that they have always been really good and reliable. Too bad they all aren't that way!

mercygive replied to reneegigliotti's response:
I agree. It was a near disaster experience. I can anticipate additional stress about every 90 days going forward.

A few years ago, I picked up a prescription for another medication each month at the local pharmacy until one day they told me that the insurance would not cover it because the dosage had not changed in 90 days and I was required to use the mail order pharmacy if I wanted the discount. I've had that scenario in the back of my mind since then and so have chosen to avoid the hassle at the local pharmacy.

Thank you for responding.

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

NSAIDS and lithiumExpert
Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (eg, Motrin/ibuprofen, Advil, Naprosyn) raise lithium levels by about 20%. We often therefore say ... More
Was this Helpful?
68 of 91 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.