Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
Therapy method change
ddnos posted:
My tdoc talked with me today about how she wants to start a trauma-based therapy method with me and wasn't sure how I would respond to that, i.e. would I be willing to give it a try or not. She had talked with me about it before, but this is the first time of her talking about it as a recommendation of treatment for me. She said that she wants to use it in re abuse and also dissociation, even though I don't actually dissociate that much.

So I agreed to it and she said that it's something that we focus on usually for 15 weeks (give or take) but that I would have to be willing to focus on that for however long it takes to work through it. So we will be starting next week. There's an actual name for the method she will be using, but I can't remember it right now.

I got a scare when she first started talking because it sounded like she was going to tell me that she couldn't work with me. I started tearing up and what made it worse was when I asked her that, she said to wait, and she would get to what she was going to say. FOr some reason, that made me think she was for sure going to leave but wanted the words to say before breaking the news. But I insisted that she tell me and not wait because I would not be able to focus otherwise. She didn't see why I came to that conclusion until i explained it.

Anyway, not suer what to expect next week and weeks to follow, but should be interesting.

Forgot was gonna say, so over
Debbie
Forgiveness is letting go of the hope that the past could have been any different --Unknown

slik_kitty responded:
good luck!

reneegigliotti responded:
Hi Debbie,

I'm starting the same treatment method in therapy. We can compare notes. Trauma does make bipolar symptoms much worse. For me, the combination of severe depressions and dissociation creates a mess. Trauma and Bipolar disorder can get intertwined for those of us with trauma histories. We've talked about this before. I'm glad you are considering it. I'm scared but I trust my psychologist completely. Do you have enough trust built up in your therapist to start this new treatment? It's been an issue for you recently. That trust and bond is really important if you are going to go into delicate places. I assume you are talking about EMDR and associated treatments.

Renee

ddnos replied to slik_kitty's response:
Thank you, Kitty!
Forgiveness is letting go of the hope that the past could have been any different --Unknown

ddnos replied to reneegigliotti's response:
You are, huh? Yeah, we'll have to compare notes.

Oh, I hate to inform you of this, but you assumed wrong! I never! lol It's not EMDR that she will be doing with me. I've tried that a couple times with my former tdoc, and I'm just not a good candidate for it mainly because of some teaching about 20 or more years ago. I think I may have mentioned that before.

ANyway, she told me what this method is called, but unless I say it out loud after she says it, I don't remember things like that. I will know for sure next week. I'm more than considering it; we are starting next week! lol

You asked if I felt enough trust (and connnection) with my new tdoc to do this and of course, I'd rather do this with my former tdoc, but I'm comfortable enough with this new one to move forward on it. We talked a bit about it yesterday and told her that any resistance she would get from me would be from the process itself, not the method, if the method is not overly abstract. If abstract and/or anything along the lines of EMDR, then she will definately get resistance from me, and it likely wouldn't work. She said it's not like that. She said this process generally takes 15 weeks, but of course, could go a bit sooner or longer depending on the person. To be honest, I'm a bit skeptical because hearing her talk it's like she believes that I will be "all better" once I go through that program. lol Well, she'll be in for a rude awakening when that doens't happen. lol That sounds bad on my part. I don't mean that there won't or can't be healing and that I won't gain anything from it; I'm sure that I will as long as I do the work; but I'm not so sure I will achieve the kind of results that it appears that she thinks will happen. I don't know. But I'm typically very comfortable sharing intimate details of my life with my therapist fairly soon after meeting her. Heck, if there were time and I could fit everything into words, I'd be Ok with sharing it all the first day meeting! lol I've just never seen any point of withholding. Some things I may feel more embarrassed about sharing and it may take a lil longer to get the words out, but if it pertains to my therapy at the time, it's coming out!

Ok, could go on forever, but I have to get on the bus to my moms (again so soon!) before I miss the bus, and then it would be all your fault! lol

Have a good day and weekend! I will be back home Sunday evening, but still have access to the computer - may not have time, though.

Hugs
Debbie

reneegigliotti replied to ddnos's response:
I remember you telling my about your EMDR resistance. I should have remembered. Many apologies.

I see my psychologist TODAY! She's back. I'm actually nervous. Like starting over. Kind of. 3 weeks was a really long time for me.

Renee

ddnos replied to reneegigliotti's response:
Awwwww re being nervous! I'm so sure that it will be great to see her! I look forward to hearing how it goes!

Oh, and no prob re forgetting about the EMDR thing - I certainly don't expect you to remember everything I say - though you really should! lol

Debbie - gotta run now to make business calls for my Grandma

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

NSAIDS and lithiumExpert
Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (eg, Motrin/ibuprofen, Advil, Naprosyn) raise lithium levels by about 20%. We often therefore say ... More
Was this Helpful?
69 of 92 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.