Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
The Question I Hate
ddnos posted:
The question I hate being asked the most is, "What have you been up to?."

How do I answer in a way that doesn't make me look like I live a completely boring and meaningless existence? I can understand how people might think that way based on what they see of my life because I know that my lifestyle is not typical in many areas.

Yes, my life is boring, but it's not boring to me. I am content with who I am right now, including my uneventful lifestyle. But when it comes to someone asking me what I've been up to or what's new, my heart sinks. I instantly turn into the person who would love more than anything to be able to answer in a way that they perceive me to be interesting and that I am making a difference with my life. This way I would be accepted into their world as one who "has a life."

I can't give that kind of answer though, so they walk away. I'm of no interest unless I come with a bag full of bells and whistles. I'm not enough.
Forgiveness is letting go of the hope that the past could have been any different --Unknown

slik_kitty responded:
I just always say "not much". i work, i come home. that's my life and it's ok with me. if it's not ok with others, then that is their problem.

ddnos replied to slik_kitty's response:
I know it's their problem, not mine, which makes me wonder why it bothers me so much. No, I think I know why it bothers me, but I can't seem to make it not bother me. lol It doesn't ALWAYS bother me; I think part of it does depend on who it is - but then again, I think those were the people I had in mind. lol Round and round inside my head. lol

Tonight a pulled an all nighter because I slept too much yesterday. I couldn't have slept even if I wanted to. I tried, but that lasted about 30 minutes at 5:30 a.m.! I knew I should have taken a provigil yesterday, but I thought I could go w/o it. I guess not. I been good about not having to take it though - only about 3 times in month. So I'm happy about that.

Oppps, off my own topic!

Maybe one day I will figure out how to not be concerned about what others think of my life as long as I'm Ok with it.

Debbie
Forgiveness is letting go of the hope that the past could have been any different --Unknown

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

Differentiating bipolar disorder from borderline personality disorderExpert
Borderline personality disorder is a condition in which people can very easily become angry and upset in response to stresses -- especially ... More
Was this Helpful?
109 of 126 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.