Skip to content

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
mood swings and increased anxiety/depression with quitting smoking cigarettes.
teal_cat01 posted:
I am Bipolar along with other psychiatric conditions. This is DAY 6 of smoking cessation using the Nicotrol inhaler. My mood is so unstable right now. I think quitting smoking REALLY messes with one's anxiety/depression/mood swings. I am trying to isolate myself from others physically because I feel so bad. Has anyone gone through this and/or have any comments, ideas, suggestions in coping with all of this that I am experiencing right now?

mercygive responded:
I quit smoking 8 years ago after smoking for 30 years. I tried to quit countless times with patches, prayer and will power. I finally quit with patches and Wellbutrin and admitted that I would be just as anxious with a cigarette as without one, but I think what really helped me this time was joining a gym working out and swimming and I really don't know how to swim but any kind of movement in the water makes the lungs work really hard. After I finished swimming the last thing I wanted to do was smoke and I worked off a lot of irritability.

Bottom line you really have to want to quit and constantly tell yourself about the benefits like all of the money you will save, your clothes will smell better and you WILL feel better—you will feel like a cleaner person. Ask yourself if you can really afford to smoke AND drive. Also, tell your friends and family not to smoke around you. Good Luck!
A little yoga goes a long way

teal_cat01 replied to mercygive's response:
DAY 9 of smoking cessation. )
I agree with you totally about exercise and increased activity.
I'll list all of the benefits of quitting smoking that I can think of so I can return to that list to read during the tougher times. I think it is getting easier with each day that passes. Although it's been a short period of quitting smoking, I am feeling better physically, smelling better, enjoying the financial freedom to like get my hair cut and colored instead of spending the money on my tobacco habit. Well, having chest pain really initiated my smoking cessation. I was like, "FORGET THIS!"
Thank you for your response, advice, and ideas that you helped me to consider. Quitting smoking isn't easy but can be done. I had quit smoking for 3 years via using the patches & Wellbutrin. This time, I'm utilizing the Nicotrol inhaler.
Deep breathing exercises, chamomile tea, and music therapy also help me to relax. I am working on decreasing caffeine also. I do tend to stay away from smoking activity because I am new at quitting smoking. I will share ideas as I discover them along this new path for those who are considering quitting smoking themselves or are going through it.

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

Medications for BPD
Please get a second opinion if you have chronic problems with your BPD medication. I changed doctors and got a proper diagnosis from ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.