Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
Advise Please
wolverine471 posted:
I have not been diagnosed by a doctor. I saw a psychiatrist yesterday, and have done a ton of reading. I fit every symptom for Bipolar. I'm scared at this point because I have lost everything in my life again, and am on the road to being homeless again. I am 43 years old and after reading I believe I have dealt with this all of my life. I cant handle the stress that my wife of 24 years is beginning to have had enough of my ups and downs. Can someone tell me how I can make this work, because the panic attacks, and the feelings I currently have about life in general are gaining ground fast

doxielover10 responded:
Go back to a good Psychiatrist, tell him or her what is going on. Ask for Medication, to see if it helps, then you will know. Don't expect instant results. Bipolars who make it, are tenacious, resilient and NEVER GIVE UP. I should know, I did it.

Good Luck,
Allison

teal_cat01 responded:
Hang in there. Take each day one day at a time. Initial shock regarding bipolar and all of my psychiatric conditions was experienced by myself. I figure that your psychiatrist started you on medications. Keep in mind that it takes awhile, some about 3 weeks, to start showing the benefits from taking them. Start a journal for yourself, hide it because it is your own business and nobody else's. Journal usage gets easier to do with time, gives you insight and awareness of what is working for you and what is not working. I'm still trying to cope with the mood swings years later. Doing stuff to relax and take your mind off your issues helps. ie. deep breathing exercises, a hobby, listening to relaxing music, going for a walk. Having a support system that you can depend on and trust is important. There are usually bipolar support groups in communities. I'm proud of you for finding this one. )
As your medications begin to start working, the ups and downs will be there but not as huge. Tell your psychiatrist the truth about exactly how you are feeling, thinking, going through and such. Finding a therapist that you are comfortable with and can talk to helps. I, myself, tend to push myself too hard to "get better," and end up having a set back. One of the hardest things that has been for me to do has been to accept my limitations. As I have gotten in tune with my various moods, I have learned when to back off myself and take it easy. I try to learn new ways to cope with my conditions everyday. I did figure out that what may work one time may not work another time. It's important to take your medications about the same time everyday and to continue to take them. I hope that I have provided you some direction instead of overwhelming you. Also, you can set aside a certain amount of time like 10 minutes out of your day to worry about your problems and not give the worries anymore time than that. Of course, I'm trying to learn to do this recently, myself. All of this that I have mentioned is from my own experience, illness, and what I have learned from repeat hospitalizations. Sometimes, I need to give a bad thought a "time out." I will distract myself for about 20 minutes after I have a scary thought, then after I calm down, I will journal the thought, what I was doing when it happened, anything I can think of surrounding that scary thought and decide what I am going to do about that thought to help myself. Remember to be kind to yourself, okay?
Give yourself time, don't give up, keep on a going, take your medications, go to therapy, find the support system including this community on WebMD. I've struggled for years, these are ideas that I have learned which help me so I hope they can help you. Don't expect to just "poof" and get well because with this condition comes the everyday challenges to face. I have to keep getting back up when I'm knocked down but I do make sure to keep standing up and to not give up on myself and others. I wish you the best that life has to offer and much success on your path in life. HANG IN THERE & DON'T GIVE UP, okay? )

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

NSAIDS and lithiumExpert
Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (eg, Motrin/ibuprofen, Advil, Naprosyn) raise lithium levels by about 20%. We often therefore say ... More
Was this Helpful?
68 of 91 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.