Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
Includes Expert Content
QUESTION FOR DR. G
doxielover10 posted:
Dear Dr. G,

I keep having "Discussions" with people, who believe my life span will,be severely reduced, by Psychotropic Drugs. My Brain is being destroyed, should go Holistic. The most recent article says,anyone taking Psychotropic Medication will die 25 years earlier than the general population. My response is that given my unbelievable atrocious behavior, having absolutely no fear of anything, carrying scalpels in my purse, I should have been dead years ago.

Since I research, until my Computer is exhausted. I have found that I, as a very severe, Rapid Cycling Bipolar One, would suffer major adverse Brain deterioration, without meds. The assaults to the Brain over time, would have significant ramifications over time. My Father was a brilliant man, extremely successful, incredibly Adventurous. Safaris, Deep Sea Fishing, traveled to every place in the world. However, he categorically refused to admit he was Bipolar. When I was diagnosed, he absolutely refused to believe it for years, even when presented with FACTS. As he aged, he got worse, when he was 80, he built a 10,000 sq ft home, for when the kids come home. We were all adults living all over the country. In his 70's I could clearly see the lack of judgement, impulsivity, rage. He would lay on the couch, watching TV, calling me 12 times a day. It was NOT Dementia, the out of control behavior, rage, getting into fights. Eventually, he was Catatonic, loss of memory, still enraged. He died a HORRIBLE death, which I won't go into here.

I PERSONALLY do not believe you can be a Bipolar like me and live without meds.

Is it possible to conquer Bipolar Disorder without meds ?

Thanks,
Allison

Joseph F Goldberg, MD responded:
Dear Allison, I know of no scientific evidence that any psychiatric medicines directly shorten lifespan (apart from overdosing on some of them). By contrast, having a diagnosis of bipolar disorder more than doubles the chances of dying from all causes. Undertreated bipolar disorder increases the risk of premature death much more than treated bipolar disorder. There are no established treatments for bipolar disorder others than medicines (and ECT). It is a medical illness that usually gets worse if not treated with medication. Dr G.

doxielover10 replied to Joseph F Goldberg, MD's response:
Dear Dr. G,

Thank you for your sage comments. I needed an expert, to give me ammunition. I just don't understand why these people, mostly family members, will stop harassing me, after,I show them this.

I am level, and lead a normal life. The meds have helped me, and continue to do so.

Thank you,
Allison

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

JUST BREATHE!!!!
I did it! I'm where I need to be. I'm in waiting room, listining to a suggested song~ Fast Car ~ My all time fav. Thanks for the reminder. ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 5 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.