Skip to content

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
Recently Diagnosed
ginny713 posted:
My husband of 33 yrs was recently diagnosed with Bipolar 1. His manic episode that brought the diagnosis included stabbing himself in the stomach. I sought counseling for myself and after 5 months feel pretty good about knowing what I need to do for myself. But, this has made our marriage more difficult now because instead of complying with him whenever he gets overly angry with something, I am now taking care of myself and letting that be my guide rather than his rages. He is still in denial and refuses to see how this illness has affected me as well as himself. He wants things (me) back to the old ways and I know I can't go back there. He is seeing a psychologist and I go with him, but this has been very difficult for me. How do I stay supportive of him and yet maintain my own sanity? He thinks everything I am doing is harming us rather than helping. Will he ever see things from my perspective or at least have a civil conversation about it?

mercygive responded:
It's unfortunate that your husband had to stab himself to get help and be diagnosed. Separate yourself, physically, from your husband's raging if you can because your post gives the impression that he could be dangerous to both himself and you. Be with others as much as you can so you're not so isolated.

If your husband is willing to see a psychologist and take medications then he will eventually turn from his denial and his mental health will improve, but that doesn't mean you have to take his abuse while he is trying to get well. You are doing right to continue with your therapy and education so you can take care of yourself.
A little yoga goes a long way

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

Medications for BPD
Please get a second opinion if you have chronic problems with your BPD medication. I changed doctors and got a proper diagnosis from ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.