Skip to content


Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
Stopped taking lithium
brianpan posted:
I am 57 yr old man who was diagnosed with Bipolar One 10 years ago. Since then I have been through 4 psychiatrists who all concurred that I am bipolar and have been on lithium for the entire 10 yrs. Recently I have lost all ability to concentrate and my neurologist said I needed to stop taking lithium. I stopped cold turkey with no ill or side effects at all in the past 2 weeks. Am I no longer bipolar or can something bad happen down the highway. One downside I see in this is one doctor telling you to stop taking a medication that another doctor has prescribed for you.
ibex7 responded:

I am 67 and dx'd BP2 for 32 years. I have maintained my medical regimen troughout and have been prescrbed meds that caused immediate psychotic episodes that required hospitalization. In retrospect,, each was determined to be erroneous for me and was stopped.

Last year I had a tumor removed from one kidney. My surgeon determined I had an overdose of lithium which caused a 4-day hospital stay. I disagreed with the doc's blaming lithium, as I reacted to the use of Norco, a pain killer during a previous hernia repair surgery the same year.

Using the emperical formula that our doctors are trying to help us, doesn't rule out the possibility they may sometimes be in eror. We should ultimately judge them by their best intent.
Best regards to you. - Ibex
Sometimes you don't mean to say what you mean to say you mean.

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

Screen out people who can't seem to "get it"....
There are some people who can't or won't understand at all. My wife is bipolar, and some people are more understanding than others. We ... More
Was this Helpful?
37 of 43 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.