Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
Is bio-polar likely to affect other family members
onedayatatime3 posted:
I have read many books on bio-polar and all of them state that it is a genetic trait in a family. Is this true? I am bio-polar 1 and have been in treatment for a long period of time. Taking my medications on a daily routine. I see my therapist once a month depending on how I'm feeling. I do have a problem, I have noticed for a long period of time that my oldest brother has all of the signs of ADHD and bio-polar. The problem I have is that he is not being treated. At this time, I have separated myself from him due to this. I'm unable to deal with it due to it affecting my own mind and well being. In the past I had asked him to get help but it was ignored and forgotten. He was very critical of me and my illness during my lowest period of my life. Divorce.
Did I do the right thing?

ibex7 responded:
OnedayAtaTime,

So much of what you tell us is very common to many of us. My father suffered from long periods of depression and was treated wit Vit B12 injections. Cycling started for me in the teens. One great uncle succumbed to suicide. I have had psychiatric visits, medications, three hospitalizations, and thirty years of awareness. My VA primary care physician gave me a PTSD diagnosis 20 years into treatment. Divorce, like you, was my greatest tragedy.

My biggest revelation is that so many of my friends and acquaintences also experience bipolar cycyling, just more pronounced in some than in others. Don't be afraid to include yourself in the human race as basically normal. You deserve to be considered honored as a caring and eligible human being. Best wishes. Ibex
Sometimes you don't mean to say what you mean to say you mean.

slik_kitty responded:
sometimes you have to distance yourself from people. there is nothing wrong with that because you need to take care of you first and foremost. if he doesn't see that he has a problem, then there is nothing you can do to help him. so take care of yourself first.

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

NSAIDS and lithiumExpert
Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (eg, Motrin/ibuprofen, Advil, Naprosyn) raise lithium levels by about 20%. We often therefore say ... More
Was this Helpful?
68 of 91 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.