Find Information About:

Drugs & Supplements

Get information and reviews on prescription drugs, over-the-counter medications, vitamins, and supplements. Search by name or medical condition.

Pill Identifier

Pill Identifier

Having trouble identifying your pills?

Enter the shape, color, or imprint of your prescription or OTC drug. Our pill identification tool will display pictures that you can compare to your pill.

Get Started

My Medicine

Save your medicine, check interactions, sign up for FDA alerts, create family profiles and more.

Get Started

WebMD Health Experts and Community

Talk to health experts and other people like you in WebMD's Communities. It's a safe forum where you can create or participate in support groups and discussions about health topics that interest you.

  • Second Opinion

    Second Opinion

    Read expert perspectives on popular health topics.

  • Community


    Connect with people like you, and get expert guidance on living a healthy life.

Got a health question? Get answers provided by leading organizations, doctors, and experts.

Get Answers

Sign up to receive WebMD's award-winning content delivered to your inbox.

Sign Up


All communities will be placed in read-only mode (you will be able to see and search for posts but not start or reply to discussions) as we conduct maintenance. We will make another announcement when posting is re-opened. Thank you for your continued support and patience, and if you have any further questions, please email

Yours in health,
WebMD Community Management

Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, get to the ER.

*No Dr Outside Contact Please*
Is bio-polar likely to affect other family members
onedayatatime3 posted:
I have read many books on bio-polar and all of them state that it is a genetic trait in a family. Is this true? I am bio-polar 1 and have been in treatment for a long period of time. Taking my medications on a daily routine. I see my therapist once a month depending on how I'm feeling. I do have a problem, I have noticed for a long period of time that my oldest brother has all of the signs of ADHD and bio-polar. The problem I have is that he is not being treated. At this time, I have separated myself from him due to this. I'm unable to deal with it due to it affecting my own mind and well being. In the past I had asked him to get help but it was ignored and forgotten. He was very critical of me and my illness during my lowest period of my life. Divorce.
Did I do the right thing?
ibex7 responded:

So much of what you tell us is very common to many of us. My father suffered from long periods of depression and was treated wit Vit B12 injections. Cycling started for me in the teens. One great uncle succumbed to suicide. I have had psychiatric visits, medications, three hospitalizations, and thirty years of awareness. My VA primary care physician gave me a PTSD diagnosis 20 years into treatment. Divorce, like you, was my greatest tragedy.

My biggest revelation is that so many of my friends and acquaintences also experience bipolar cycyling, just more pronounced in some than in others. Don't be afraid to include yourself in the human race as basically normal. You deserve to be considered honored as a caring and eligible human being. Best wishes. Ibex
Sometimes you don't mean to say what you mean to say you mean.
slik_kitty responded:
sometimes you have to distance yourself from people. there is nothing wrong with that because you need to take care of you first and foremost. if he doesn't see that he has a problem, then there is nothing you can do to help him. so take care of yourself first.

Featuring Experts

Joseph F. Goldberg, MD, is a Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He also maintains a private prac...More

Helpful Tips

Screen out people who can't seem to "get it"....
There are some people who can't or won't understand at all. My wife is bipolar, and some people are more understanding than others. We ... More
Was this Helpful?
37 of 43 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.